Hopkins got his discipline from Hagler

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by PunchyMcGee, Jul 19, 2007.

1. PunchyMcGee

PunchyMcGee New Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I think this is the key to B-Hop's success.
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/hopkins-fight-taylor-1780250-wright-career

Hopkins has never blown up in weight between fights. He has said in past interviews that he hasn't had a donut in 20 years. He always looks like he is ready to step in the ring and go 12 rounds.

Hopkins never needed a handler to knock on his door at 4:30 a.m. to get up and do his road work. He doesn't even need an alarm clock. His inner clock gets him up at the crack of dawn to run.

"That is a profound discipline that I've followed over 20, well, over 15-20 years of my career," he said.

Hopkins admires a lot of fighters from boxing's golden age, but he said he tried to emulate Marvelous Marvin Hagler early in his career.

"When I took a page out of his book of discipline, of always coming in shape, never having an excuse, no one ever expected any guy like him to not be in shape whether he won or lost a fight, and that's the great Marvin Hagler," Hopkins said. "The most disciplined fighter of my era; the most profound work habits that this guy had."

2. PunchyMcGee

PunchyMcGee New Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
  3. BeamBlack

BeamBlack Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Wow this is great. I would love to hear more if anyone has any info on Hagler's training regimen.

4. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    When Hagler opened training camp, he referred to it as "putting myself in jail."

5. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
  6. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007

:lol: On a Beach in snow, sprinting 15 miles? Was it uphill both ways?

I don't doubt for second his training was unbelievable, but not that unbelievable.

7. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    That's unbelievable. I'd like to hear some more on Hagler's training regimen, too. I don't doubt they were brutal- it would help explain how he was arguably the best Middleweight ever, and you've got to love a guy who puts himself through that for the sport (even if it might be a little exaggerated).

8. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Discipline is great,but boxing is more than just discipine in training.
    Heart and discipline in the fight,skills and natural ability count for a hell of a lot.....
    If hopkins is soo disciplined and dedicated how come he cant keep up a fast pace or up his work rate considerably any more? (especially the JT fights.) Someone like hatton can be a slob between fights and have more stamina/work rate than hopkins.....This is because hatton is young and probably has natural stamina as well as being a very hard trainer....

9. Shake

Shake Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2007
    Because he's over forty?

10. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Ok,he is over forty,so why keep going on about his conditioning like it is supposedly the best in the sport or one of the best ever? Are people impressed with his physique or his boxing stamina? Why not just say he is remarkable for his age?

11. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    his remarkable for any age, look at his las 5 oponents, he has fought the best and was able to go the distance at his age.

12. mancat

mancat Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Irrational hate blinds rational thought. Hatton won't fight past 30, and already has gassed out in fights with Collazo and Urango. Both fights where he did not fight at a fast pace.

13. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    X loves old school fighters like Hagler, Moore, Charles etc He has idols and people he looks up to, just like us. He is human.

14. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    There is no hate on my part for hopkins,he is remarkable in being competitive and successful at an advance age,but i think some folks make out like he is some kind of armstrong when he plainly cannot set a fast pace or throw lots of punches like many other world rated active boxers...This is not a slant on hopkins,he has skills that many other world ranked boxers do not possess,but please stop saying conditioning/stamina......Lets just say he is in great physical shape....
    ps; im not a hatton cheerleader,bith hopkins and hatton are good at what they do,and hatton does have his off nights like anybody else....

15. mancat

mancat Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Well spoken. I however, would say the ability to fight at 42 is a sign that Hop has shown extreme discipline over years, not nessacarily one camp. I think this is the reason people respect Hopkins, because of his long term love and commitment to boxing.