Hopkins v Calzaghe

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by dealt_with, Jul 10, 2019.

1. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'll rewatch the fight again.
    But before I do..this is what I remember.. Hopkins scored a KD in the first round and then after the second round threw only 20 punches a round. Joe ran him out of the ring. And then there the acting jobs on Hopkins part. Clear Calzaghe victory.
    Now time to rewatch the fight.

2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    :cheer: thanks for taking the bullet

3. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Lol
    The first round could of could 10-9 Hopkins, because besides the KD he did nothing! It was the definition of a flash knockdown. Joe land more punches in the round and was walking Hopkins down before and after the KD. It wasn't the Jones knockdown ( yes, I watched the Jones fight after the Hopkins fight). Calzaghe was really hurt in that round.
    Anyway clear Calzaghe victory even making the KD 2 points. Hopkins was lucky if he won 4 rounds.

BCS8 likes this.
  4. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    I seem to remember after the fight most ppl accepted the decision without controversy. Then after Hopkins went on to school Pavlik, they retroactively started giving Hopkins the Calzaghe decision too.

BCS8 likes this.
  5. surreal deal

surreal deal Liverpool via Krypton Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    HI Rummy old pal, hope you're well; anyway have to disagree (not for the first time time between us in over a decade haha) -but find your answer very United States of Americentric. The SMW wars in the UK, not long after it's inception, are what put the WBO on the map IMO. Benn/ Eubank/ Watson/ Collins clashes were the launch-pads and catalysed the WBO as a significant body...not the later American stars' involvement. Our boys made it relevant. Hence It's importance, influence and power later on... in your side of the pond. Add Calzaghe to my argument too, to compound my point. Best wishes fella' btw