Hopkins v Calzaghe

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by dealt_with, Jul 10, 2019.

1. lefthandlead

lefthandlead Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thank you!! Also it was a CLEAN loss, there were no headbutting, elbows and wrestling. ..Unlike a certain fighter that would go on to win the Super six tournament .

2. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    hopkins made unified and non-unified defences., as did tyson.

joe also made non unified defences and unified defences...i mean one unified defence.
    the same rules applies to both.

hopkins made 20 recognised defences, joe also made several recognised defences.

exactly! good man. u have to count hopkins recognised single title defences to reach 20.

3. bjl12

bjl12 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2012
    The fact that you were able to watch that all the way through for a second time is incredible.

Hopkins did win, but it wasnt a robbery. The swing was something like

BHOP 8-4:::Joe 7-5. Anything in between was okay because of how ugly it was

dealt_with likes this.
  4. Daddy

Daddy Active Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Hopkins easily scored the telling blows + the KD. But landing 2 or 3 good shots a round and hugging for the other 2:30 seconds doesn't look good at all. Joe landed the slaps that stole him the rounds. Yes, Joe threw 300 less punches than he usually does, that tells you how crafty Hopkins is. There is a HUGE reason why this fight wasnt made in Hopkins prime tho. Doesn't take much to figure out why. In the end, Joe won 7 rounds to 5.

5. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Clinching is illegal.

lefthandlead likes this.
  6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Boxed is my buddy. His posts are can't miss. Sorry he's gone. But much appreciated you are taking up the slack!

BCS8 likes this.
  7. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    This is exactly what I saw the (only) time I watched the fight. I couldn't agree more.

lefthandlead and BCS8 like this.
  8. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I thought Hopkins won the fight...I haven't watched it in a while but definitely thought Hopkins won that night.

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Boxed Ears was classic. He got me too ;) I didn't mind cause then I got to see him fish out other saps as well :D

Clinton likes this.
  10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's a fair post. I'd agree that Hopkins landed the better punches, and that Calzaghe outworked him handily. It's the sort of fight that can be subjective to judge depending on what you're really looking for. In the end I felt that Calzaghe was making the fight and that his volume was worth more than the better but fewer blows Hops was landing.

I think half of the problem here is that we're used to seeing Calzaghe working away like a sewing machine, and he just couldn't get going against Hopkins. In fact, compared to his usual performance, he looked crap. So because Calzaghe looked crap relative to his usual self, people (some people) think that he lost. T'aint so. Hopkins put a large cramp in his style but he still won. TBF most folks look shitty against Hopkins.

11. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I thought Calzaghe made the better adjustments in the second half of the fight and won a close fight.

12. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    No it's not but holding is.

lefthandlead likes this.
  13. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Clinch definition
    Boxing.an act or instance of one or both boxers holding the other about the arms or body in order to prevent or hinder the opponent's punches

lefthandlead likes this.
  14. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I could careless what the record books say. I’m good with joe knowing in his heart he lost and his dad taking that L to the grave.

15. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Explain to me how Calzaghe won when he didnt throw & score 10 LEGAL SCORING PUNCHES all fight long ?? Slaps are NOT legal scoring punches Check the MoQ rules

dealt_with likes this.