How and when did the WBO become a major tittle?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ripcity, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I remmber when the WBO first came on the boxing scean and it semed like it was being treated as one of the many "minor" tittles. It did not have IBF,WBC and WBA status. Today the WBO tittle is regarded as being on the same levil as the WBC, WBA and IBF. When and how did this happen?

2. Shotgun

Shotgun Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    There's a longwinded explanation but for the sake of keeping it simple, the WBC, IBF and WBA have all become more and more of a joke over the years
    while the WBO has had enough quality boxers endorse their belt so that their credibility has risen

Now the WBC, IBF, WBA and WBO are all corrupt jokes on roughly the same level

3. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    wbo dilutes the titles just as the ibf did when i remember that coming on the scene.

there were much better fights when there was only a wba or wbc

4. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    i see it still that the wbu is becoming the jouirneyman prospect belt which i feel is a good set.

ibo is becoming a good brand aswell when it came out it made it clear only the best get there belt...but sadly just another belt adds to the confusion.

i hope ibo becomes the belt of choice as not once has it had corruption charges ,biasedness and a bad line up.

but money changes good hearts

5. joeboxer

joeboxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Spot on. History doesn't make the WBC, IBF and WBA's corrupt current rankings any more valid than the WBO's crap rankings.

6. Stinky gloves

Stinky gloves Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 31, 2007
    It become mayor since other organizations agreed that their champions can wear WBO belt along with their own.

7. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Exactly. :yep

8. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean My nAmE IS MoNeY Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    all the other corrupt organisations lost more an more respect while wbo quietly kept in there

9. MacManJr.

MacManJr. Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Get rid of all organizations or combine them all and have one title for every weight class. We'd see who really wanted to be champion then.

10. King Dan

King Dan Golovkin Full Member

Feb 24, 2005
    WBO is not a major title.

11. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Alphabet crap is alphabet crap...

If you think dog crap is more important than cat crap that is your call, but perhaps you should keep that sort of thing to yourself, or find a scat forum!;)

12. Drexl

Drexl Your Hero Full Member

Jan 24, 2005
    It didn't and it isn't.

13. Motor City Sam

Motor City Sam Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2007
    It's funny how with the debate on this board about who has a glass chin, who would have won Vitali/Lewis, is Floyd a runner, could BHop beat Hagler, etc., we can all agree on our disdain for the actions of the sanctioning bodies.
    :good

14. THN

THN Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    One belt would be perfect, but to many people make money as it is now:-(

15. Asterion

Asterion Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    The Ring belt is the truth. :smoke