How bad would Mike Tyson beat Joe Frazier?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ravishing Rick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I think that this is the wrong time,right now,to oblectively consider this. Because of the love many of us are feeling for Frazier,we should put queries like this on the backburner for a day or two. We're still mourning the great man.

2. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    If he had no heart, why didn't he give up in between rounds at some point against Lewis? Did he get mercilessly beaten because he didn't know he could quit? Why did he try to get back up against Douglas when he was getting blasted badly for all those rounds? Because he thought he'd be executed on the spot if he didn't keep trying?

3. sean1982

sean1982 Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2010
    agreed

4. round15

round15 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Nicely stated.

5. Wu-Gambino

Wu-Gambino ESB Swordsman Full Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Pardon me but you don't know what the **** you're talking about :good

6. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    All right.

I favor Mike Tyson, but if the contest comes down to heart, Joe Frazier will win.

It is a misled notion to say Mike Tyson had "no heart". He had more heart than a million average Joes who have never transcended to the worldwide cusp of their occupations.

That said, Tyson is favored because he had the most awesome physical gifts of any heavyweight champion ever, and he honed them to perfection. And he was a warrior.

Yet he had serious insecurities, too.

However, he is so head-and-shoulders above so many other fighters--great or not--that these insecurities are very hard to exploit.

A fighter, a warrior's warrior like Joe Frazier could deliver the goods.

As has been correctly pointed out over the years whenever this matchup is discussed, if the fight goes beyond the halfway point, Joe Frazier is the new favorite, for one simple reason: Joe Frazier's heart was indomitable. If you cannot stop him, he will fight you down to the wire for 15 grueling rounds. This could spell trouble for Mike Tyson.

The longer the fight, Joe Frazier will only come on stronger, whereas Tyson, though not because of stamina issues, simply dramatically loses his lethal edge.

Smokin' Joe Frazier may break down Mike Tyson before the final bell.

7. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    I agree, Tyson would win and early, IF somehow Frazier survives Tysons onslaught, he beats Tyson late. But i dont think Frazier can stand in front of Tyson and survive for long.

8. kmcc505

kmcc505 Sweet Scientist Full Member

Apr 20, 2008
    This.

9. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    In order to do that, hes got to take a **** load of punishment from Tyson, will Frazier still be standing?

Tyson hits much harder than Ali, but not as hard as Foreman.

10. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    No chance whatsoever. As soon as tyson hurt frazier (who i place among the all time top 10 heavyweights) he would jump all over him and take him out. Frazier knew only one way to fight and that's straight ahead and he wouldn't be able to escape tysons onslaught.

I really hate to mention Joe in the same breath as his son marvis but the truth is that he wouldn't last much longer than marvis did.

So the beating really wouldn't be too bad because of the brevity of the fight.

11. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I agree. To say that tyson had no heart is totally unfair because he kept on trying and never gave up. He was just overmatched and outgunned at that point of his career and no longer possessed the tools that it took to beat lewis, such as the defense, speed and reflexes that he displayed in his prime. When you're someone who is 5'10 fighting someone who is 6'5 and who knows how to use his height and reach effectively, even a minor deterioration of those abilities make a big difference.

Tyson simply couldn't not get inside to successfully challenge Lewis, It had nothing to do with heart.

12. Are you a ****ing idiot? Frazier who fought and punched for 15 rounds against a Mike Tyson who could only KO guys early. Frazier would win by late left hook KO. Joe was plenty tough to take some punishment for 5 rounds and after that he would smoke Mike. Mike had not the best chin and never rose from a knockdown in time.

13. TAC602

TAC602 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2011
    :think

This content is protected

14. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlIOqypvT-g :yep

15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014