How big a deal will Skelton vs Chagev be???

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by robpalmer135, Dec 6, 2007.

1. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    If he wins will he become a big name like Hatton, Calzaghe, Khan???

How big a deal was it when Hide won the title???

Will it get many column inches?

Will it get talked about to the same degree on here as other big fights recently???

Will the yanks show it?

2. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Rob I really belive that due to the media blackout the heavyweight division is a wasteland until one of two things happens.... Vitali comes back and domiates everbody.... we get a new young hopeful.... The only other way to save the heavyweight division is to have a heavyweight contenders series with 'world' class heavies then maybe people will be interested again.

3. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeh i heard a rumour thay Season 4 of the contender would be Heavys.

It would be cool if Haye enterd he would destroy anyone over 5 rounds. I think Haye could be good for the H/W the yanks would like him!

4. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Hide was only WBO champion and nobody really took any notice. If Skelton wins I reckon he'll get less acclaim than Williams got for beating Tyson. Obviously it's a bigger win but the public don't really know any heavyweights these days so they won't take much notice.

5. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
    Beating Tyson is probs bigger than beating chagev, even with a belt!

6. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    nope.

chagaev beats on that version of tyson worse than williams does. williams took some punishment before he stopped tyson in that fight, ruslan wouldn't. name wise yes tyson is bigger but beating chagaev for the WBA title in the grand scheme of things would be much more impressive, especially considering skelton's age. but he will prove far too skilled and crafty for skelton.

ruslan's my favourite active HW so i'm backing him, but very disappointed that he has chosen skelton for his first defence after fighting some good competition in the past two years in virchis, ruiz and valuev.

7. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Chagaevs nickname is crap for a start.His not a white "Tyson" and doesnt even have a style that remotely resembles Mike.Either way the fight isnt important in the slightest.Skelton has done well to work his way into a title shot and has had a much more succesful career as a boxer than he did in the K1.But whatever happens he wont ever be a star with star buying power like Hatton or JC.His too old too crude and his star has already burnt out.At nearly 40 years old he has no time left.

8. Tony Harrison

Tony Harrison Active Member Full Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I don't think the guy is good for boxing. If he generated lots of interest in heavyweight boxing with a win everybody would soon stop watching as he is one of the most crude and vulgar fighters I've ever seen. People walk out of the place en masse whenever he fights.

Warren knows it and probably will not want to be associated with it. ITV must be pissed off with him too he has been responsable for some appalling broadcasts recently.

9. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Agreed. He was better off in anonymous notoriety on SKY.

10. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    No I will say now Skelton would get more mainstream attention if he beat 2008 vintage Tyson hell he would get more coverage if he beat a 2008 Ali, than he does beating Chagev.;)

Sure we all know the more impressive 'W' but we are not mainstream when it comes to boxing.

11. mike464

Sep 10, 2005
    The ironic thing is that Warren has been promising the winner of his heavyweight fights a title shot for a while now but it's only after both guys looked crap and he said he couldn't one that we actually learn a Brit will fight for a heavyweight title.

12. steelem

steelem Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    cant see skelton winning this unless the warren camp can drug this russian!
    hopefully mickey vann will be at hand for skelton to hit in the lower regions & back of the head !!
    mickey vann rules!

13. mike464

Sep 10, 2005
    Hopefully it's not the ref Reid had when he fought Ottke

14. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    a skelton win would be embarrassing. i usually support the british boxer whatever, but in this case i think for the sake of boxing, skelton must lose