How big was jack dempsey really

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by GregDempsey, Dec 25, 2009.

1. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Your vivisection of Jack Dempsey alongst the lines of an iconoclast image,
    is not working S... So freakin easy to take pot shots at a decent man who is dead these many years...And so brave of you...The toughness Jack Dempsey had in one finger , you S, don't have in your whole body...
    And yes the "Dempsey of Toledo" description was first used by I believe,
    Hype Igoe or Damon Runyon , who somehow were as LITERATE as your holiness S...
    Cheers from a devotee of "the Dempsey of Toledo", circa 1919...:deal

2. LittleRed

LittleRed Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    The correct answer to the question is: big enough to be heavyweight champion.

3. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Obviously Dempsey didn't have the bulging muscle of Evander Holyfield (not many did), but that doesn't mean he wasn't plenty strong. He had lean muscle.

This content is protected

Look at the way Mayweather was able to easily match Ortiz's strength, despite his muscles being considerably smaller and having overall a smaller frame.

Even when looking at Rocky Marciano against Jersey Joe Walcott and Archie Moore, both of them had larger dimensions than Marciano and he was able to clearly establish himself as the stronger fighter.

Look at Walcott's build and Marciano's. Walcott had the clearly stronger looking build, yet Marciano was stronger.

This content is protected

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Dempsey was tough enough to skate the War, Wills and Greb.

5. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    this photo proves what I am talking about! fighters lie about their height. I have a photo of myself with Froch, I am a touch over 6' and froch is 5.10. Haye also lies about his height, he is not 6'.3'' in a million years he is 6.1" tops. Jut like evander Holyfeild who I also met. Evander was billed as 6'1'' until he became a heavyweight. Go watch Hollyfeild vs tilman on you tube if you dont beleive me. People dont get taller shaving off their hair but they do fib about how tall they are.

http://youtu.be/WKbdw6PL-yU

6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I will restate my point ... Dempsey had the body frame like Holyfield did at 190 .. either pre-juice or pre-weight bulk up ... basically the same height, lanky torso, long arms ... compare him to the Evander that fought Qwai and my point is made ...

7. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I agree completely. Evander was clearly all juiced up in the given picture and most likely throughout the entire 90s. Shannon Briggs is pretty much in the same boat, just a bit later on. Started out well cut but still with lean muscle. Then he starts coming in bigger and bigger and before you know it, he's 270lbs.

Give Dempsey the steroids that Evander was on, and he'd have been walking around with the same build as Abe Simon.

8. TheGreatA

TheGreatA Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    He weighed around 190 pounds. That's how big he was.

9. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005

:lol::lol::lol::patsch:patsch:patsch

10. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    female accounts put him at 11" long and 3" thick

11. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dempsey handled the big guys pretty well and Quarry was not near the ferocious puncher that Dempsey was....Shavers may not have been tall or heavy at 6ft but his weight was across his shoulders and back and when you focused on that area and not his slender legs, he was frightfully big.

I was at a party with Joe Frazier and many other taller heavyweight but 5"11 Frazier was the most opposing man in the room.

As far as Quarry beating Foreman, he had a very good chance

12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Yes, Classic has taught me that tape measures and scales lie, and that Jerry Quarry would befuddle a 1973 George Foreman, the same Foreman that dribbled Joe Frazier like a basketball (who in turn made mincemeat of Quarry's mug) and shot Norton into orbit (who in turn put a housing project asskicking on Quarry)...

13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Lyle did a pretty good job at dribbling Foreman for a bit and the fight could have been stopped in Lyle's favor on a few occasions, no such luck with Quarry who dominated Lyle.....Quarry had a solid chin and good power and better stamina than the young Foreman, which I feel would give him a decent shot at the upset...styles... and Jerry proved he could handle the big slow guys....as far as Quarry-Norton...Jerry was completely shot, admitted he did not train for the fight and was addicted to cocaine ans alcohol at the time but he still landed a left hook that rattled Ken to the core,too bad the ref jumped in the way and Quarry did not see that Ken was hurt so bad, still that Quarry was like the Ali that fought Holmes.

14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Quarry's problem was that he got hit a lot and that never played out well against Foreman .. Shavers fought a stupid fight against Quarry and was crushed .. If Foreman fought a very stupid fight , missed often and punched himself out Quarry , with his chin, heart and counter punching skills had a shot but more than likely George takes him out ..

15. MadcapMaxie

MadcapMaxie Guest

Fixed :good.