How can PBC haters consider themselves boxing fans?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TheDog, Jun 21, 2015.

1. TinFoilHat

TinFoilHat Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Strongly disagree. Porter controlled the ENTIRE fight. The rounds that were close went to Porter, even with Broner's constant fouling, porter was winning rounds, although some were close. I said your score was ACCEPTABLE, but it wasn't CORRECT.

2. bballchump11

bballchump11 2011 Poster of the Year Full Member

Oct 27, 2010
    yeah Porter controlled most if not all of the fight, but even still, you can find a couple of rounds to give to Broner where he actually decided to counter punch.

3. Xelloss

Xelloss Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Both Porter and Broner are with Haymon, considering Haymon is the one who nixed the rehydration clause, and 2 of the judges were reasonably solid I am not sure why people think it was Haymon trying to do a number on Porter.

Haymon has certainly done some ****py things, just like Arum has. But.... its a lot more effective to place criticism where its due not just making it for the sake of criticism.

It would be nice if PBC continued to improve, and evolved into something that was really cool and could carry a boxing brand in the USA.

4. TheDog

TheDog 60/40 I kick yo a$s Full Member

May 22, 2015
    Good post. I definitely feel the match ups could be better.

I completely agree more match ups like Broner-Garcia, Thurman-Porter need to be made. Are more high reward low risk (reputation risk) but remember some match ups like Broner-Porter are made with the intentions to showcase Broner. However the fight proved how average Broner is, a lot of people were saying AB was going to show how average Porter was (even tho AB's last "dominant" performance was Rees).

I think Broner-Porter was a good match up in theory but Broner blew it up. He wasn't good enough to be dominate but was good enough to survive/spoil the fight. I think Broner will be the new Judah

5. alexthegreatmc

alexthegreatmc Sound logic and reason. You're welcome! Full Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Al Haymon is no different than many other big promoters IMO. People hate PBC because of it's association with Haymon, and Haymon's association with Mayweather. People pick sides for some reason instead of enjoying the best of both worlds.

6. cereal monotony

cereal monotony Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 30, 2013
    for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who is honest with themselves about people's true motives....just think limbaugh and obama.

that's why i never even bother to respond to the 'rootin for pbc to fail" threads...i already know what that's all about.

7. BagsWithDust

BagsWithDust Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I've enjoyed the fights so far and its free so why not.

People who say the fights suck probably think that since the fights are free, the fights should automatically be entertaining. There are still PPV fights that are boring. That's just the nature of the sport and any sport for that matter. You are going to get exciting fights and some dull fights. But it's free anyways so why complain?

Also, as PBC and Haymon continue to grow. There will be better fights and fighters headlining the cards. Right now Haymon is doing the best he can with the fighters he has at the moment

8. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    PBC has won me over, and I hate Al Haymon. But his programming hasn't been that bad this year. I just wish they would sack the commentators and replace them with a couple of professionals. Ray Mancini and Steve Kim are great on their Gloves Off show. Get them!

9. Imperial1

Imperial1 VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    How anyone can be against non PPV boxing is beyond me !

10. Ol' Bub

Ol' Bub Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    "Here, take this free bag of horse sh*t...it's free"
    :rofl

11. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    That's pretty fair.
    The format needs an over hall. Get rid of Marv, and Leonard.
    Do away with the stupid entrance.
    Build a better back story between the fighters before their match.
    Try and get younger talent that you can open the show with on a consistent basis 4-5 times a year. Someone the causals can follow. A legit talent on the way up. Pick a star off the tree rather than from the supermarket.

12. Xelloss

Xelloss Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 23, 2013
    I think the issue is how they have used financial leverage to push other, worthwhile boxing cards off the networks they get on.

GBP losing Fox1 was pretty ****py, so is ME losing the NBCSN, and even ESPN2 losing FNF was not really great. If PBC had been content to share networks with other promoters it would have been one thing, but boxing was already on free TV... in most cases they are not bringing anything new or superior, just supplanting what was already there.

Killing GBP Fox1 shows / LA fight club, was actually pretty not-cool.

Trying to kill off all the venues where other promoters could build prospects, in favor of their UFC model is actually pretty lame.

13. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Fair points.

14. Imperial1

Imperial1 VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007

It's a double edge sword but what I like is they way they market it it's also like a Monday night football or for olds school wrestling fans Saturday nights main events ..What the other promotions fail to do is market their fights in the way PBC has ..I do agree hurting competition is never good comptetion is always good but so far it's not a bad thing ..Just needs some fine tuning

15. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    How can someone dislike further fracturing of a sport? in which people signed to it wont be fighting other fighters that arent signed to the company (by company... i mean haymon )

All the pbc really means to me as of now is even more great fights wont be happening.

Now, the more powerful pbc becomes, the more fighters it will attract, and less fights become unworkable. Until that time tho, if ever, its just fracturing the sport.

That being said i dont 'dislike' pbc or what they are trying to do. I just dont know if that can work in boxing (a monopoly ) the sports too big, too global, with too many major players.