How close to Lomachenko is Usyk in skills?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Oct 13, 2019.

1. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Looks like someone copy and pasted Vasyl Lomachenko's style on a 200 lbs man.

How far away from Lomachenko do you believe Usyk is skillwise? Probably not all that much imo. As you add weight to someone they naturally slow down and move slower.

2. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    With a year between them
    Evenish amateur accolades and both cleared out division and moved up
    I just cant make a call on this one

3. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    He's not nearly as sharp or fluid as Loma, nor does he display the same range of techniques that Loma does (parrying, blindsiding, hooking off a block etc). I don't find my jaw dropping watching Usyk the way I do Loma, nor do I feel he does anything superhuman the way it sometimes seems Loma is doing. He's easily the most skilled big man in the sport right now, of course, but he's closer to someone like Chris Byrd than he is to any ATG talent.

I say this with full respect for the division he came from (and cleared out) and as a big fan of his in general.

wassupjg, Mendoza, Jackman65 and 3 others like this.
  4. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Loma is great but gets hit quite often, was down and exposed by Salido's swarming style is a fighter NOT of all distances. His loss after some 300 wins speaks for itself, whereas the only time Usyk was hit quite often was vs. Breidis, in a fight for God knows what reason he chose to brawl, and yet boxed circles around Gassiev and the rest, so he's more complete.

Or pick elite opposition out-weighing their natural weight by 10-20%, and I have a hard time confidently picking Wilder, Ortiz, Ruiz, Joshua or Fury over Usyk, whereas I find it hard to pick Loma to beat Crawford, Spence even Prograis at their weight, with tough times vs. 40yo Pac and Porter - again, because he gets hit more regularly.

pacas and Big Ukrainian like this.
  5. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    You do realise it was his 2nd pro fight?? It’s like playing futsal all your life and then deciding you want to play vs an established premier league team in 11 a side football without much preperation.

wassupjg, Zhuge Liang and Jackman65 like this.
  6. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I would rather watch Oleksandr Usyk any day of the week. There's the heavyweights, then there's everyone else. My interest definitely dwindles the further down we go, watching 60kg midgets isn't as appealing to me.

7. FastSmith7

Sep 16, 2017
    Loma is far more skilled than Usyk, not a knock on Usyk as Loma is far more skilled than any current boxer

wassupjg, pacas, kirk and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Not close at all.

wassupjg and kirk like this.
  9. jcairns1

jcairns1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Loma is more fluid because he’s about 70lbs lighter, if loma was at heavyweight he’d be pretty much identical to what Usyk is.

10. RacingBeat

RacingBeat Casual lives matter Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Oh and also by the way by the end of the fight Loma was coming on. If his second pro fight had been a 15 rounder he would’ve won it

kirk likes this.
  11. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Loma is better. It's difficult to compare too because small men have different attributes than the big guys.. footwork Loma is like a ballet dancer whereas Usyk is like a fencer.. both are brilliant anyway, we are lucky to have them in our era..

Malph, pacas, oldcanvasback and 2 others like this.
  12. BigBone

Nov 20, 2007
    1st he got to fight for a pro title in his 2nd pro fight because he had like 450 amateur wins, so if argument is 'he deserved an eliminator on debut and a shot in his 2nd fight because hes the GOAT amateur', bypassing those who worked hard in their pro career to earn a shot, then stick to the logic mate: he had 450 wins leading up to Salido's tactics, and was as ready as he was ever gonna be, plus he hasn't fought anyone like him ever since.

2nd, he had six fights under professional rules vs. seasoned opposition in World Series of Boxing, so he had his Salido fight in his 8th pro match, and that's no record. 3rd: why are you arguing with his record when I was talking about skills and flaws in the Usyk comparison?

13. FastSmith7

Sep 16, 2017
    He never fought 12 rounds before that, he fought with an amateur style in the first half of the fight vs Salido, then Loma realised he was losing the fight and stepped on the gas late on in the fight.
    Lets be honest if todays Loma was to fight prime Salido, Vasyl would destroy him

Malph likes this.
  14. BigBone

Nov 20, 2007
    That is true, and the sky is blue - you do realize tho that every other fighter in boxing history had not fought 12 rounds until they did? :lol:

im sparticus likes this.
  15. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Usyk didn't even walk into a gym until he was 15 y/o which goes to show you how much of a fantastic natural talent and athlete he is.