How come no one cares about Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by royjonesfan, Jan 15, 2020.

1. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Their first fight was a massive stinker.

Brixton Bomber and Mitch87 like this.
  2. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    They need to sit outside vape shops and skateparks. Thats where the Joe Rogan audience is.

Aydamn and eltirado like this.
  3. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    But more know who Fury is now, not sure about Wilder's profile being much higher. The casuals are more keen on that pos McGregor than either of them, which is pretty sad given what a clown he is.

4. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Fury's style of boxing is a big reason of why he isn't super well known IMO. In the heavyweight division, it's always been about KO's, getting dropped, slugfest etc. Wilder style ends up on highlight reels and gets shared on social media and his KO's ended up on some Top 10 sports things on FOX or ESPN IIRC. That's exposure that I doubt we will see with Fury.

5. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    That's because Fury is a clown and boring to watch.

Heavy_Hitter and Frankus like this.
  6. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Definitely NBA or NFL. Sports fans here are starting to hear about the name because of espn but definitely not the general public

POTUS likes this.
  7. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing aficionado banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Yet everybody in the UK knows who Anthony Joshua is, and everybody in Ukraine knows who Wladimir Klitschko is. Everyone in the US knew who Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali were.

But all those heavyweights fought the best, Wilder in contrast has been going for old men and journeymen.

A fit and well-prepared Fury in February will be Wilder's first good opponent (last time Fury was coming off a long layoff and serious personal issues).

Wilder isn't getting any younger, he'll be past his prime before he fights any of the other better heavyweight contenders of his era. He looked awful against Ortiz, maybe he's already past his best.

Heavy_Hitter and Mitch87 like this.
  8. Incinerate

Incinerate Active Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2019
    We do care. It just isn't a super fight. It's a big fight. As soon as the fight starts to come around they will be talking about it more in the coming days. They'll be all over your TV screen.

9. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Wilder
    Wilder lacks the talent to transcend the sport in truth. Even if he had the best promoter in the world and all the circumstances were right. He just doesnt pass the eye test as being a world class boxer, worthy of being held up as "exceptional".

When you look at those fighters who have transcended the sport, there is something simply "exceptional" about them talent wise. This then needs to be combined with excitement, great fights and the right conditions in the sport to be exploited. So Wilder will never ever transcend the sport and was never capable of doing so.

Turning point: He turned down the Wladimir Klitschko fight which could have been a stepping stone to it, but his promoter knew back then he was likely to lose so didnt risk it. Since then he has avoided the best and looked to maximise earnings through defending his belt against sub par opponents. This approach will never allow you to "transcend" the sport of HW boxing in the way Mike Tyson did.

Fury
    Fury is defensively a very talented HW and could have at one point made that step. He lacks power at the highest level which is something that HW you must have if you are going to trancend the sport. Importantly, he lacks the dedication and focus that Lewis and Wlad had to become undisputed champion and defend belts for a number of years too.

Turning point: Fury will never transcend the sport at this point. The turning point was when he won the first Wlad fight. Had he knuckled down and defended the belt then. Following this had he beat AJ with all the belts. He could have then started to cross over to the mainstream with the right promotion and right circumstances. He blew that opening/golden moment by blowing up in weight and having a meltdown. That opening will never come again for him, as he is already looking at leaving the sport and doesnt have the focus to become a long term champion.

10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I am not too excited about the fight. It was oneside except for the punches landed by Wilder which knocked down Fury. So we know what will happen in the rematch. Fury wins rounds unless he is hit and if he is hit is he hurt bad enough to be knocked out? I want Fury to win this one.

11. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Its weird, because this is a fight where I want to see both men lose just for the LOLs

chico g likes this.
  12. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Morvidus & Destruction are spot on.

13. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Maybe one of those simultaneous knockout things where they land at the same time?

That would be something to see.

14. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Hating again I see

Fury fights bums? lol

Name one fighter that Whyte has beat that's better than Wlad?

I will wait

With all due respect, Whyte would just be another bum on both guys records, because that's really all he is

Parker with a bit more fire in the belly would of beat him easy

AJ apart from one hairy moment, beat him easy

Chisora (past his best) arguably beat him first time around, though I do think Whyte just about edged it

The guy looked terrible in his last fight

By all means call wilder and Fury bums. You have the right to an opinion.

However, calling them bums while supporting Whyte makes you look deluded my friend.

Just my two cents!

Peace x

15. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Nah man, that would just feed their ego more... they would come off as if they are both Godzilla and King Kong so powerful they fought to a stalemate.

Nah we need to bump down their ego, they each need a humiliating loss.... but which one first?

I'm going with Fury because of his "No man born of his mother can beat me"