How did people score GGG - Canelo 2 for Canelo?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by FastSmith7, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    I literally just 15 minutes ago watched the fight in full for the first time since watching it live lol. Didn’t even see this thread, just watching old fights while locked down and this had been a topic of conversation lately.

Somewhat to my surprise I still had 8-4 GGG which is the same *approximate* score I recall having live.

Watching it with fresh eyes, I had GGG pretty much sweeping the rounds from 8 on. He won these rounds more dominantly than the rounds I was giving Canelo early.

I was surprised by how few clean shots Canelo landed and how few punches he actually threw, given the ‘story of the fight’ about him walking GGG down.

The biggest thing in Canelo’s favour, honestly, was body language- not a scoring criteria.

Overall, was pleasing to see my memory hadn’t failed me.

timeout and FastSmith7 like this.
  2. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    In all honesty, the decision was okay in the rematch. It was a 6-6 or 7-5 for either type of fight. I think the main reason for the outrage was just the sore taste of the decision in the first fight.

3. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Worst Poster of 2015 Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I had Canelo winning by 1 round. The fact that you had GGG winning as wide as 117-111 due to simply throwing a lot of ineffective jabs makes me question your boxing knowledge.

Before I get to why I think your scorecard is a joke, first I want to explain a little bit about Canelo Alvarez's skillset.
    Canelo is an expert at neutralizing the power and the effectiveness of the jab. The man has fought a variety of world class jab's throughout his boxing career, from speedy jabs like Khan, southpaw jabs like Trout and Lara, converted left hand orthodox jab's like Miguel Cotto, technical positioning jabs like Mayweather, then finally GGG and Kovalev's jab, who really need no introductions. Their jabs are already legendary and without a doubt the best in their generation. Canelo beat them both.... and you know how he did this? Effective body punching and timing.

Canelo is a boxing genius and learns something new each in every fight he's been in. A lot of GGG's jabs weren't doing anything in the 2nd bout, especially during the later rounds. Canelo's body shots took all the steam out while his counter punching limited GGG's punch selection. In the end, all GGG had left was a snapless jab which to be fair, did win him rounds due to Canelo's inactivity which made the fight close...... Not close enough to win the fight though, definitely not by 9 rounds either... :lol:

Canelo did the same in the Kovalev fight, but Kovalev's conditioning and weakness to body punching is what caused the eventual dramatic outcome.

4. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Okay, Canelo did some good work in the 2nd fight no question and should be admired for his aggressive approach.

Golovkin landed over 110 jabs in the 2nd fight, how can you say he neutralized the jab when GGG landed 10 jabs per round and most of them were hard jabs that definitely got Canelo thinking. A lot of the bodywork by Canelo was blocked by GGG's elbows, while he did land some good shots to the body, it definitely wasn't effective as GGG was the stronger of the two in the last 3-4 rounds and that's when the bodywork should be paying off. GGG landed the best shots of the fight in round 10,11 and 12 while Canelo looked done out there at times in the championship rounds. I suggest you rewatch round 10,11 and 12 if you think Golovkin had nothing left, he had Canelo hurt in the 10th and to a lesser extent in 11 and 12. Other than some bruising, Canelo's punches had no effect on GGG.

5. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    I had the fight 6 rounds to Canelo, 5 to Golovkin and 1 round even

6. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Canelo won the 2nd fight even more clearly than he won the first fight. He won the first 6 rounds and perhaps split the last 6 with GGG but more importantly big mouth Abel Sanchez asked for Mexican style and Canelo gave it to them and won.

7. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    So repeatedly getting popped hard in the face with the jab is neutralising it? Cos that’s what was happening

FastSmith7, timeout and lordlosh like this.
  8. DirtyDan

Oct 30, 2011
    Look, man. I'm quarantined here like everyone else, been out of work for a week and have nothing better to do... I smoked a bowl so I'm extremely focused and paid attention in detail to what exactly was happening in each and every round while ignoring the commentary.... Actually I lied. I watched the fight, but I only scored the first 7 rounds in which Canelo won them all... the only round in which I could probably give to GGG in the first 7 is maybe the first because he did snap Canelo's head back with the jab once or twice until Canelo found the rhythm and timing to completely neutralize it. I assumed you watched the one uploaded on youtube in 720p with the horrible commentary and highlight reels consisting of Kevin Kelley. I haven't watched this fight since it aired on PPV back in 2018 because there was no need. It was an easy fight to score then and it's an easy fight to score now.

If you actually knew what you were watching you would know that the most EFFECTIVE punches in this entire fight were Canelo's body punches. How wasn't Canelo's body punches effective when they had GGG backing up the ENTIRETY of rounds 2-7 and had him gassed and clearly hurt. You must be a novice to boxing to not think his body punches weren't effective, the huge body punch Canelo landed at the end of round 2 for example noticeably effected GGG in round 3 and that's when Canelo started taking over.

The highlight reels didn't do this fight justice, it was just random sequences that wasn't of any real relevance. GGG was stiff as a board due to poor head and body movement and absorbed the full impact of Canelo's blows while Canelo, who used his slim frame to his advantage was the one who was mostly blocking, slipping, and head rolling GGG's shots.

GGG did show championship caliber heart and won the last 3 rounds, but that's only because Canelo gassed due to all the body of work he did the first two thirds of the fight. I'm sorry, but I just can't reward GGG for his ineffective jabbing, a lot of his jabs were just touching Canelo's face and had little to no effect. Canelo was so far ahead that even Abel Sanchez knew GGG needed a knockout to win and blatantly said they were losing the fight.

That being said, Canelo learned a lot from the first fight and used it to his advantage to progress while GGG learned nothing in the first fight(a fight I thought he won) and regressed. The same happened after fight 2 which is why there's no need for a fight 3.

9. DirtyDan

Oct 30, 2011
    I suggest you watch the fight again, specifically the first 7 rounds.

10. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Canelo neutralised GGG jab with his face.

This content is protected

The man was also on queeer street from 10th round onwards.

8-4 GGG easy.

11. DirtyDan

Oct 30, 2011
    He lost... even his trainer thinks so... what more do you want? That video is a joke, it's a 3 minute video showing GGG's ineffective jabs while showing nothing from Canelo. I watched the first minute and had to x the video.

If you had the fight 8-4 that means you had to have given GGG 3 of the first 7 which means either you're an idiot, GGG fanboy/Canelo hater or don't anything about boxing.

12. timeout

Jun 15, 2010
    Ineffective jab? That ginger roided melon head is snapping back. My head hurts just watching that.:duh I would x it too if I was a canelo fanboy...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  13. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I had the second fight 117-111 for GGG

I had the first fight 116-112 for GGG

At the time it was universal across both fights that GGG won both fights.

Since then people have been re-writing history and stating the second fight was CLEAR for Canelo, and Canelo may have edged the first fight. Lots of fan boy BS is going on

FastSmith7 and timeout like this.
  14. DirtyDan

Oct 30, 2011
    I literally just watched the fight in its entirety not even an hour ago, what exactly is that video proving to me? It's a 3 min vid of a 36 min fight, it's a joke just like your response.

I'm a Puerto Rican guy from Philly, how exactly am I a Canelo fanboy, clown? You think I watch boxing simply for Canelo? :lol:If you knew anything about the culture and rivalry between Mexican and Puerto Rican boxing, there's no reason for me to be a Canelo fan boy... I'm a boxing enthusiast and have been watching it all my life, I call it how I see it. GGG lost and it seems like you lot have trouble comprehending it.

15. timeout

Jun 15, 2010
    That makes sense. There are no good Puerto Rican fighters no more, so you riding the coattails with the mexican crowd. No need to say any more.

As a boxing enthusiast, remind us all, aren't you the clown that scored Ward vs Kov 1 for Ward...:risas3:

that just tells me everything i need to know son....

not only are you a delusional Canleo fan, GGG hater, but also YDKSAB, as you can't score fights either.

Now that is a complete package right there.:eatingburger

destruction likes this.