how do boxers put on weight to go up in weight classes so easy when i cant....

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by anthbrown, Feb 17, 2010.

1. anthbrown

anthbrown Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2009
    i seriously cant put weight on for love nor money, no matter how much food i eat or how much i train

im sorry if this isnt really relative to the forum, feel free to slate me lol... but how do boxers do it so easy ?

i remember hattons promoter saying its easy to put 7 pounds of muscle on ricky, but doin it propperly is the hard thing... so why is it so easy for them & not for someone like me ??

2. boxingtactics07

boxingtactics07 Active Member Full Member

Nov 3, 2007
    You are burning more calories than you realize and you aren't eating enough, despite what you think. Two guys can be 150lbs and one can take in 4500 calories a day for maintenance, while the other one may only need 2500. Side Note: Hatton loved terrible greasy food and booze - adding fat (weight) was not an issue for him.

3. BoxingFanNo1

BoxingFanNo1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Could be genetics.

If I eat well and train hard I pile it on. At the same time with a little focus I can lose 14lbs in a month no sweat.

If you're wanting to put on weight you litterally have to eat eat eat, even when you're not hungry, works for me.

4. SILVIO_DANTE

SILVIO_DANTE Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2009
    The answer is almost guaranteed to be you're not eating enough.

Eat 4 - 6 smallish meals a day.

Change your diet to include more protein and less fat and carbohydrate than you are currently consuming. Take protein shakes twice a day if necessary.

Add weight training, particularly to focus on legs (heavy squats).

If you do the above, you can't not put on weight.

5. anthbrown

anthbrown Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2009
    thanks people, much appreciated!!

6. Son of Gaul

Son of Gaul Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2010
    That kind of situation usually boils down to two things: 1) Genetics 2) Diet. If you want gain weight intelligently, you have to eat protein, track caloric intake and watch how many calories your burning. Also make sure to eat lean protein after training. VERY IMPORTANT!

7. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I think the fact that they're professional athletes, who had to have genetic advantages to reach the place they're at; and who have the money and time to train and hire professionals to assist them in gaining weight helps a lot.

8. PugilistStudent

PugilistStudent Active Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2009
    He said it was easy for a professional athlete that has professional trainers, dieticiens and top of the line equipment and supplements to gain 7lbs of muscle. This does not apply to someone that is training themselves. He has many people that have spent many years EACH in university SPECIALIZING in what they do helping him, he also has a trainer he's worked with for a long time that knows his body and he knows his body

9. difO

difO Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 13, 2009
    trust me if you had someone watching everything you eat and do, you'd be able to gain a few pounds rather easily :p

10. Squire

Squire Let's Go Champ Full Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I try to eat some protein with every meal, have a shake when I get back from the gym and a shake before I go to bed every night. I also keep reps between 8 and 12, no higher. I've heard when lowering weights its best to take as much as 3 seconds doing it, and that spending a couple of seconds lowering the weight is better than actually lifting slowly. I don't know how relevant to boxing that is though, thats possibly just a bodybuilding thing

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I've got a mate who is into his bodybuilding, and he always says to eat loads of carbs- and that sacrificing carbs for protein is where a lot of people go wrong. I'm no expert myself though

11. MrPook

MrPook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2007
    How old are you? For most teenagers it is hard to gain weight. While that changes for most dudes once they past 20.

12. G U E R R I E R

G U E R R I E R Thomas ''Hitman'' Hearns Full Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You just aren't eating enough.

There is no such thing as impossibility to put on weight.

13. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    that and roids.

14. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Sounds like you have a high metabolism. Eat fewer but larger meals