How Do People Rate Lennox Lewis Higher Than Larry Holmes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Joeywill, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Imagine what a prime Lewis would have done to Mercer and McCall.

Scraped a majority decision and got kayoed in the second respectively, did someone say?

Don't be so bloody stupid.

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Hopkins doesn't go down as a better fighter than Jones because he did it better when he was old and Jones didn't

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This sounds right to me.

Devon likes this.
  4. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    Blimey, Dev. Did you just pocket phone that post? I had an asthma attack halfway through reading it.

Glass City Cobra and Abysswalker like this.
  5. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    A yes or no was what was asked for, please? Not a nonsensical, irrelevant non-sequitur.

I'll ask again.... Who are you on about here? Are you saying that Lewis, unlike Holmes, was able to take single shots without folding or being out cold?

6. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    Both of them versions of Lewis were not prime, or anything close to his best, he was green in the first McCall fight, and was on way to dominating him in the second fight and the Mercer fight, they had a really small ring, Mercer was someone who struggled against moving targets, he was getting outboxed by Francesco ****ing Damiani, but if someone stands in front of him, even people better than Damiani, he could do better for example he would give Bowe a run for him money, it doesn't mean Holmes is better than Lewis just because Holmes beat Mercer more convincingly, it was the styles

7. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    When was his prime then, cos he was 29 for McCall, 31 for Mercer? At 34 when he struggled to dominate the 37year old Holyfield? Or the 35 year old version that lost to Rahman?

Was his prime after Mercer but before Holyfield ie 97-99, then?

And people knock Tyson for having a short prime.

And I don't think Lennox gained much credibility for being 'on his way' to dominating a man who was walking around the ring in floods of tears either. Lennox might be the only ATG heavyweight who could outweigh his opponent by 20lbs, be 3ins taller, have his opponent refuse to fight back, have an opponent in floods of tears ... and still be tentative.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  8. Abysswalker

Abysswalker Member Full Member

May 13, 2020
    Are you trolling or what? Larry Holmes came back from a knockdown he suffered at the hands of probably the biggest puncher of all times. Lewis got sparked out by mediocre guys. I have seen a few ******s here but you might be the biggest one since miniq guy is banned. Either that or you are trolling.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  9. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    Lewis dindn't reach his prime until later as we all know, he had no experience when he fought McCall, as for the Mercer fight, I just don't think he was up for it and the ring was very small, if they rematched and Lewis boxed him and the ring was a normal size, Lewis would've dominated him, as for the Tyson thing, I think that's ridiculous how people claim he was washed by the Douglas and Holyfield fights

10. Abysswalker

May 13, 2020
    Lewis was green in the first McCall fight? He was 29, he had 25 matches before and fought decent opposition up until point too. At what age or after how many matches a boxer passes that "green" status?

11. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    Well if that is prime Lewis, then how come he look miles better in further fights? He was clearly inexperienced at world level, after that fight, he always measured before throwing the right and concentrated on the opponent, against McCall, he threw that jab cross a few times with no feints or double jabs and McCall read it, Lewis never did that again, he also used the clinch better, used his weight more and knew his way through the 12 rounds, it is clear that Lewis was not in his prime for the 1st McCall fight

12. Abysswalker

May 13, 2020
    I never called that prime Lewis. Lewis got better after Steward started training him, we all know that but you said that he was green.

green adjective (NOT EXPERIENCED)

informal
    not experienced or trained:

You called Lewis green who was aged 29, competed at the Olympics, had 25 professional bouts at his belt, fought against the likes of Ruddock, Biggs, Bruno and Tucker.

Eddie Ezzard likes this.
  13. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    He was never down or in trouble like that beforehand, he obviously learned from that, which is why he looked so much better after, I know he was in 2 Olympics, but you can't gain top level pro experience in the amateurs, he had to be in trouble in the pros to learn how to deal with it, 12 round experience is totally different to 12 round experience

14. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I prefer the Holmes case but after Ali and Louis, the level of subjectivity on this increases exponentially. What does that last word mean? I don't know. I've heard people say it. I think it has something to do with math. But I mean a lot. I just wanted to sound smarter than if I'd just said 'a lot.' So, I reached for a word that I did not understand and I used that word. If someone had challenged me on it, and it were wrong, I just don't know what I would do. I'd probably never show my face on the forum afterward. And think how many things you would've missed that were opinions. Or not opinions. Think about how many facts I have left to give. Facts about my opinions. A...plethora of them. ...Yeah, plethora.

Fogger likes this.
  15. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    Holmes's best win is against Tim Witherspoon which is a good win, but that fight was close, Lewis beat Holyfield convincingly the first time and I don't care what anyone says, Holyfield wasn't washed in that fight