How do promoters etc make money?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Fhaggis, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ryuken87

ryuken87 Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Totally agree on Haye-Bellew, the fight means nothing in terms of boxing as a whole because neither man will go on to achieve anything further.

I know loads getting rid of Sky too. People take the **** out of Hennessy for the Youtube thing and while I think Hennessy is a terrible promotor and £15 is way too much, I think streaming is the future. Look at Everything else is getting streamed these days and more sports will be soon. Stuff like Netflix has completely changed the market for TV.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  2. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I kinda disagree......if you work out how much each Premier League football game costs, then £10 million for a guy risking his life is not too much.

S.K likes this.
  3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Very good post mate. Totally agree with the disparity of the top of the bill and the undercard guys. Someone getting 10 million when and undercard fighter gets say 10 grand or something like that. I d love to see them capping the amount the top guys earn. I d rather see more boxing millionaires rather than one boxer taking home all the pay. Its went too far the other way imo. With say mayweather taking home 200 million for pretty much an exhibition match. Thats an obscene amount of money. Its all well saying he earned the name or whatever. But tbh boxing sounds like its been good to them also. Take say 20 million. Then filter the rest down through boxing. I dont even think theres a pot of money available to help pay for say medical costs for fighters that get serious injuries etc. Or help them support themselves after an injury.

It,ll never happen. But its a nice idea anyway. Boxings never really ever been organised properly. Like most things in life where big money can be made its better off being unorganised for the advantage of the few making the big money.

For all the complaining regarding ppv...theres not really a way round it tbh. The guys fighting are demanding too much money. Without rules being in place theres nothing that can really be done about it...for it not to be ppv. The figures just dont add up. Even looking at that groves v froch 2 fight...say it was non ppv like the first one. Eddie would have lost money on the fight.

Even the first fight that was non ppv...and the fighters took a lot less money home...eddie would have probably lost money on it. The big fights cant really be made without making the ppv.

Just looking at haye v bellew 1. As people have said it was pretty much a meaningless fight. But a lot of people bought the fight and people seemed to enjoy it...couldnt be done non ppv...without eddie losing money bearing in mind how much haye takes for a fight. Although it was meaningless there was still demand there for the fight. Its a no brainer to stick it on ppv.

I genuinely think the answer is to cap the ppv price. Its already creeping up to 19.99 for some fights. Make it say between 2.99 and maybe a max price of 9.99 for the real big ones. With most being 4.99. Everyone still makes good money and the fans are happier with it. With the current set up the only ones getting shafted are the fans and the undercard fighters. Sort that then everyone is reasonable happy.

4. lawslaw

Sep 10, 2016

Doesn't work that way, Mayweather wouldn't get out of bed for $20m.

Now you may say take it or leave it, BUT then if he leaves it , then the undercard fighters get nothing.

Better to have a small part of a huge pot then a big part of nothing. ;)

S.K likes this.
  5. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Its a difficult one tbf. But my opinion is how much is enough. 10 million. 20 million. 200 million. If people are for them earning that kind of money its hard to be up in arms about ppv,s cause to cover the money realistically it needs to be on ppv.

What about the guys earning 10 thousand to risk their lives. Their all risking their lifes the same tbh. But one guys walking away with 10 million and the other guy 10 thousand. I m not against guys becoming millionaires...or even multi millionaires through boxing...but how much is enough really. At what point does it come to the detriment of the fan and the other guys fighting.

Theres only really two chains of thought you disagree with it...and are angry at ppv.

Or

You agree with it and understand ppv,s necessary.

Cause otherwise its hard to put up a solid argument unless it involves promoters losing a lot of money.

6. lawslaw

Sep 10, 2016
    I just believe in the natural laws of economics, and supply and demand.

If there wasn't a demand for the fight, then Mayweather doesn't make $200m, or whatever it may be.

S.K likes this.
  7. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    I say leave it. It wouldnt happen in the real world tho.

But not sure i agree its worth 200 million of peoples money...to pay the undercard fighters peanuts. These guys could be put on other cards. New cards could have been made up with big names willing to take fair money...more buys cause they ve not just paid over a 100 quid for mayweather. How much did paying for that one effect the golovkin fight for example. The moneys all gone to mayweather...now two guys in a real fights effected by it. Their undercard guys are now paid less also etc.

Thats where the problem lies with ppv. The top fighters taking home too much. If people are happy with that tho it really needs to be on ppv. But theres no point blaming the promoter.

8. lawslaw

Sep 10, 2016
    Surely though the undercard fighters have a chance to say yes or no to a fight. Even if they are under a long term contract, they would have there stipulated minimum fight fees paid. I honestly can't see a problem.

S.K likes this.
  9. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Those PPV prices are unrealistic and are simply undervaluing a product. £2.99 - £4.99. Welcome to the race to the bottom.

£15 - £20 isn't an issue as long as the fights are right or the fighter is just that popular.

Fury v Parker could of been £4.99 and it still wouldn't of made much difference because nobody gives a damn about these two fighters.

lawslaw likes this.
  10. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Its a lot more desperate when your on that side of the fence i bet tho mate. The promoters budget for a fight. I bet in their budget their taking into account the upcoming mayweather fight regarding their projective figures for their own ppv. That means the undercard budget probably gets cut. Not sure if that was directly effected this time because i think it was made before the mayweather fight was announced. But not sure if the undercard was organised by then. But i bet cuts we,re made along the way.

Regardless tho...whats your own thoughts on ppv. And if not happy how do you fix it?

11. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    How come i come on here and see everyone complaining about joshua fight being on ppv...everyone of them barring the klitchko fight if thats the case then.

I dont think their that unrealistic if say a fighters walking away with say 10 million at the current level of 15 pound. Say a tenner for groves v froch. Their both still walking away with millions.
    2.99 - 4.99. Obviously for the lower level fights. That are hard to make without losing millions non ppv. Like say this weekends fight. The reality is...the fight couldnt be made without losing millions and 15 quids not a price people will pay to see it. Make it 4.99. It wont sell millions but they d probably make the same money back as it is at 15 quid. They d probably make more. The promoters are pretty much locked out thats why no one gives a damn about them two fighters. I bet hearn would sell that fight very well. Hes sold worse a lot better.

But 15 quids far too much for what it is. I d have bought it for a fiver. Could be sitting in the house watching a half decent night of boxing on your smart tv for a fiver. Might not quite get the casuals in but probably might have got a lot more people buying it for that price.

12. lawslaw

Sep 10, 2016
    Not sure I can give you a totally honest answer to this without a certain member on here grassing me up and me ending up booted for another 2 weeks. :cool:

bbjc likes this.
  13. S.K

S.K Active Member banned Full Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Quite simply because if froch can earn 10 million instead of 5 he's going to choose 10 million? It's not greed it's common sense.

What would you have chosen?

14. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    This forum is a great very small percentage of people that buy AJ fights on ppv. People complaining on here isn't representive of the populace that just want to be entertained on a saturday night. AJ does that hence why he can sell out in stadium and sell hundreds of thousands on PPV vs Pulev.

This is a capitalist system and why shouldn't say AJ for example try and earn as much as he can? It's not his job to see others get to eat. If he makes say £10 mil it's totally unrealistic to say AJ take £5 mil so everyone else on the card earns more. The reason anyone else gets to fight on a AJ PPV is because of AJ.

15. bbjc

Feb 25, 2012
    Ah no probs mate. Better stayibg
    Well its hard to complain about ppv at 15 quid if your happy with him earning 10 million from it surely then...bearing in mind theres no way around the figures if the fighters are being paid that much. With your argument same goes for every other ppv on the market. Who,s to say the 9.99 price wouldnt get a lot more buys anyway.

But regardless tho...when ppv gets made...if people are saying they should earn that much money...surely they cant complain about the promoters making it ppv.