How do the English/Irish view a guy like Fury (Irish blood)?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Babality, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm curious. Do the English get behind him as they do for an ethnically English fighter or it's not the same because he's Irish? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's fully Irish as far as genetics, no?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  2. preshus boxing

preshus boxing Full Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2020
    Here's your answer

This content is protected

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Gatekeeper, tee_birch and Babality like this.
  3. preshus boxing

preshus boxing Full Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2020
    He was born and raised in England, but is of Irish traveller descent.. His Dad sounds fully English too.
    I'm assuming his ancestry is far back, because after The GB team picked David Price ahead of him for the Olympic Qualifiers, Fury tried to join the Ireland team but he could not prove he was eligible.

Don't think anyone here is bothered of his Irish roots, he's very popular at the moment but some dislike him cause they hate travellers/gypsies.A lot of people here have some part Irish in them. Even Joshua and Whyte are 1/4 Irish!

Babality and Gatekeeper like this.
  4. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Viewed as English by the English more so than Lewis who got unfair stick for living in Canda for his teens and representing them in Olympics despite being born in England.

Travellers aren't disliked in England as some would portray either (at least not where I'm from).

5. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Nobody in England cares about that sort of thing. If they did, they wouldn't be able to get behind anyone form Liverpool or Manchester as a huge proportion will have Irish blood.

nilrem, Furey, Gatekeeper and 3 others like this.
  6. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I am a fan because of what he has done in and out of the ring since he hit rock bottom with suicidal thoughts and gross obesity. Don't really care about anything else whether nationality or being a traveller.

The greatest comeback ever and people will be talking about the legend of The Gypsy King forever.

7. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Where are you from out of interest?

I don't see race or heritage playing much of a part in boxer's popularity in the UK. Thankfully we seem quite progressive in that sense.

8. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    There’s definitely negative perceptions around travellers, not sure how you can say that really. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking?

moog likes this.
  9. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    I've noticed Americans hang on to old country ties in a really superficial way we really don't here. They'll say I'm Irish, German, Dutch, English etc without ever going there or meeting distant family from there!

nilrem and preshus boxing like this.
  10. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Originally from Mitcham, it has big taveller community for many decades. A lot of my friends and people I know had parents or grand parents and other realatives that had lived on the local sites.

Pretty diversed town, has a large eastern Europe and Muslim immigrant constituency for decades now.

Maybe had a negative perception from people living in wealthier local areas to Mitcham such as Wimbledon but i found that to be against people living in Mitcham in general rather than specifically against Traveller community.

11. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    He's got a big following now from UK.

moog likes this.
  12. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020
    We view them without prejudice until our dog or bike gets stolen.

carllo90 and aaaaa like this.
  13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I think Fury is very popular in the UK (certainly more than Lewis was) and the Gypsy King tag certainly hasn’t hurt this in the slightest. He’s literally worked PR wonders considering his well documented homophobic and sexist outbursts in the past plus a PED conviction. That’s not me having a dig, it’s a genuine 360 degree PR miracle.

Clarence Gianni likes this.
  14. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    The reason Lewis was disliked was because of his personality, nothing to do with where he was from. Nobody could relate to him and he was an introverted weirdo. Tyson Fury on the other hand can relate to almost every one of us in some way or another.

15. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Alright. Good stuff.