How Do You Define A Fighters Nationality

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Strongback, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Commando

Commando Guest

lol yea right. Anyways Mccllough was too scared to move up in weight, afraid of exposing his glass chin. That's why he stayed at the same weight his whole career. :bart

2. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Your obviously taking the ****.

He fought for world titles at Bantam, super-bantam, Featherwieght, back down to super bantam, up to featherwieght, down again to superbantam before going back up to featherwieght again

Your right, he did stay at the same weight his whole career

3. Commando

Commando Guest

Omg! A 5 pound difference, amazing!

4. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    5lb? bantamweight is 118lb and featherweight is 126lb, when i went to school that was 8lb difference. Bottom line, whatever way you cut it, he was up and down 3 divisions fighting for world titles. What do you want him to do? Jump up to lightweight or welter, maybe even middle? Be realistic will you. As for having a glass chin, refer to the many threads about great chins and on every single one mcCullough gets a mention, and by people who know a hell of a lot more than you or i.

5. rab

rab New Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Just to add that Jimmy McLarnin did make a trip home and visited Belfast,so I think he was aware of his roots. But he did eventually take American citizenship.

6. rab

Dec 8, 2010
    Agree that in the Olympics they box as Ireland. However, in the Commonwealth Games they box as Northern Ireland.

Re the civic reception thing I don't think there was any slight meant to Carruth. I'm thinkin that his own local council would have put on a civic reception for him as Belfast did for their local boy McCullough.

7. MEXICAN

MEXICAN boxing fanatic Full Member

Dec 12, 2010
    does it really matter? im a mexican but im a fan of pacman for ww and marquez for light feather....its their tenacity that i admire not nationality.

TBooze likes this.
  8. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Cultural identity matters more than on what piece of dirt in particular you fell out of your mother's vagina, and one can have several nationalities.

Amir Khan is a first generation Brit, has afternoon tea, speaks english, was raised in Bolton, but he likely eats ****stani food, practices Islam, etc.

De La Hoya speaks both english and spanish, and is accustomed to both US and Mexican culture.

I don't see a reason why one would need to ignore half of a person's identity, or bring up birthplace as relevant in cases where it is unrelated to their cultural definition as a human.

9. rab

Dec 8, 2010
    Think the thread is about nationality.....not race.

10. Italian Stallion

Italian Stallion Active Member Full Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Whatever flag he officially fights for on BoxRec.

11. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    You ain’t claiming Griff that would be the worst atrocity Germany every committed!

....To me on a personal level

12. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Well in the case of the Irish, minimum requirement, if you own an Irish Setter.

13. mcvey

mcvey Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Depends on your agenda.

14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    When it comes to boxing in Ireland, its an island organised sport, like rugby.
    The fact that McCullough was a protestant N.Irish person wouldnt really influence who he fought for.

He may not have sung the anthem or reconised the tricolour as his flag, but from a sporting persepective, he'd always have fought for "Ireland"

15. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Lewis is one of the most interesting ones.

Born in UK, moved to Canada and grew up there and fighting on their Olympic team, before moving back to UK and representing the UK as a pro, while still heavily representing Jamaica.

Has lived in the US for the past 20 years.

At some point, you have to just recognise the fighter as an individual. They're pros. They're not fighting for a flag.