How do you guys fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by curly, Apr 16, 2009.

1. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I know it's a vague question but it never hurts yo try and learn something new. I'm an orthodox lightweight, 5,7", 17 and like to fight on the outside.
    I try to emulate Thomas Hearns, I often use a trick of his that he used to KO Duran, by feinting to the body and coming over with the right hand. You'll be surprised how many times it works.

What's your style and if applicable, who do you emulate?

2. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
  3. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Your quite a small light weight Tommy Heanrs might not be the best role mdel

i would love to see that style

i'm a defensive fighter and i use alot of lataral movement to get out o fthe way but i also sometimes hold the middle of the ring and fight on the inside bobbing and weaving underneath punches and countering

a mixture of Pep, Locche and Whittaker (just nowhere near as good)

4. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    After watching myself for the first time I've come to the conclusion that my brains attempted to copy things from Mike McCallum. I'll film some sparring footage soon because I want to know what it looks like when I don't forget most of what I was taught.

5. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    good idea i mioght film some of my sparring to see how im getting on

6. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Sugar Shane Mosley.

Try to anyway.

7. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    6ft 1-2

Lightweight

Hearns was ma idol, but watching too much Eubank n Naseem saw me wanting to get "tasty"

Did ok though :good

SSM another god :deal

8. JN95

JN95 Active Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    i always fight from the outside at a long distance

9. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    :admin a 6ft lightweight!?

10. futonrevolution

futonrevolution Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I was a 6' bantamweight in high school... needless to say, my inside game was horrible and I was slow as molasses comparatively...

Good to hear you were able to do a whole lot better than I did, HairyHighlander! :good

Style-wise, all I could really concentrate on was placing shots well against the guy coming in and use leverage to pry them off & cause slips. Can't say I ever consciously emulated anyone... didn't have time, since I sure couldn't make the grade in college.

11. sam1222

sam1222 **** You. Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    depends who i'm fighting, but i try to emulate tyson (tho probably not very well) as his style was my favourite, but i went through a eubank phase when i was younger too.
    yeah the sparring vids are a good idea...me and my bro do a lot of sparring at my mams house, 'kitchen boxing', though the term can include anywhere including the garden.
    we do a lot of garden boxing too in the summer, get a few mates round and that, then box in the garden after a few beers....good fun.

12. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    Sounds great

13. sam1222

sam1222 **** You. Full Member

Mar 1, 2009
    it is mate, especially watching the lads with no boxing/fighting experience. funny as ****, more so when they're pissed :D

14. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008

wtf im 5'8 and boxed as a bantam last year and i was 5'7 and i was huge

and now im a huge FW now you must have been a bean stalk

15. RedDragonBoxing

RedDragonBoxing Ametuer Boxer Full Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Well im an orthodox light-welter/welter weight, 5'7 and 17 in july.

I prefer to fight agrresively so I try to emulate Jermain Taylor when going forward using the jab a few times followed by a straight right.

When in a hold i try to give a few body shots and uppercuts on the inside like Ricky Hatton does.

When im on the back foot I drop my hands and swing wide like Joe Calzaghe did when he knocked out byron mitchell.

So thats how I fight