How do you guys fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by curly, Apr 16, 2009.

1. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    well i dont throw alot of hooks

i throw heaps and heap of jabs popping it out

my powers rubbih in both hands

i throw straight rights more than most people but i use my left alot

as for uppercuts there powerful and i have a system if you move you head down low ill left uppercut you but if you come forward ill right uppercut you

2. curly

curly Fastest hands in the West Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Around where I train your right hand is mainly used for defence or the straight. Perhaps the odd uppercut aswell. A right hook on its own is non-existant.

3. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    no im pretty quick with both hands and i dont hook alot i just prefer to use my laugh as i have no need to throw big bombs with my right

4. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    boy at our gym does this alot and it ****s me up because i dont see it because of the head guards

5. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    Typo, what do you mean pater

6. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    I never throw right hooks from an orthodox stance. The only time is if I'm inside, in which case I look to be on the southpaw side because I can double up on hooks to the body, left and then right and then go upstairs with a big right uppercut. If I can find the time, room and angle obviously to do so. But from the outside or mid-range, I never, never, ever throw right hooks. Or left uppercuts.

7. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    Actually, there is an inexperienced kid who did that. Usually did it after I had jabbed, pissed me off proper because it is hard to see and he's so damn tall. Eventually I smartened up and brought my left hand back quicker.

8. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    True, I hardly throw true left uppercuts but I throw a lot of corkscrews. That's my favourite punch, punches through the defence at an awkward angle, usually catches people off guard.

9. vision

vision New Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2005
    My style looks like a combination between Jax from mortal kombat and a polar bear

10. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    Actually, now I come to think of it, I lied. I occasionally throw a short left uppercut as a lead when in close and follow it with an overhand right. Apart from that though, I don't.

I find it pretty hard to cork screw punches and create an angle of them. If I wanna find gaps I just rely on counters or feints. For example I'll throw a feint left hook to the body and then come over the top with a big right hand.

11. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    Do you mean a proper left uppercut to the head or one to the body

12. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    Well I only tend to throw it if it's a smaller guy and I'm punching down sort of so I can come over with the right hand.

I throw it sort of to the upper chest area, not a proper uppercut just a sort of feeling sort, not full force or anything, but I feel it sometimes sets the guy off a bit and sets up the right hand perfectly.

13. curly

Nov 29, 2008
    :think might have to give that a go...

14. TommyV

TommyV VIP Member banned

Nov 2, 2007
    One thing is that it learns you a bit exposed to a short right hook while you throw the left uppercut.

I only throw it because I feel that throwing the left uppercut sets up the overhand shot better than say a simple jab.

15. GPater11093

Nov 10, 2008
    just sparred my brother

i was working on slipping and all that no taking flush shots which i did its quite easy as he flurries alot so you can just put the ear muffs on and counter back easy

he also throws wild shots that you can counter with a short right hand which takes him apart but his wild punches mean you get tangled up alot

by the way laugh = left sorry about that

also what i found effective to get through a tight guard jab to the right glove left hook to the ribs underneath a overhand right to the left glove but stay leaning to your left then a hard jab through the middle of the gloves as your at a perfect angle to go through the gloves