How do you think in hindsight - Billy Joe Saunders vs Callum Smith would have gone ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TooBigTooStrong, May 10, 2021.

1. TooBigTooStrong

TooBigTooStrong Member banned Full Member

May 10, 2021
    There was a lot of talk of this fight happening

At the time I favoured Callum to win, but I think judging by their performances versus Canelo. Saunders would have probably outboxed him the majority of the fight and won on points.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  2. dragon666

dragon666 Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2021
    I think Callum would be less intimidated against Saunders and land more convincing shots. It's a close fight and probably a SD victory for either.

Saunders isn't like John Ryder or Canelo who can pressure him on the ropes. Saunders is more of a sound technical mover who likes to jab to the body and comes in close to land a one two.

All Saunders bigger fights outside of Lemieux and Monroe have been close affairs. The Andy Lee fight was relatively close and the Eubank Jr fight was closer than it should've been after 6 rounds.

3. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Depends which versions of both fighters turn up, both have had off nights and both have looked good in spells. Both at their best I’d narrowly favour BJS, but Smith can land big shots if he actually bothers to fight.

Oneirokritis, Mitch87 and DJN16 like this.
  4. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    At 168 Smith was done after Groves I think, so I'd favour Saunders.

5. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Saunders probably in a jab fest

Somali Sanil likes this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    When was the last time Saunders done that against a decent level opponent?

Usercom likes this.
  7. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Issue with giving a fair answer to that is who was the last decent level opposition he fought?

Usercom likes this.
  8. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Saunders by points.

Accurate likes this.
  9. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Smith imo. Better 12 round fighter, a better engine. He was outclassed by Canelo but was fighting for 7 rounds with one arm. He still went the distance. BJS is and never has been a SMW.

Usercom likes this.
  10. lbarrow

lbarrow Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2004
    I think this is all about timing. On both senses of the word. I think it's about how Billy Joe times his in and out shots and how Smith can time him. Therefore it will be about activity. I'd say whoever has boxed most rounds in the year leading to that fight would be considered slight favourite but I think Billy's speed and boxing would be key and I'm not a fan of Smith against someone quick with hands and feet. Callum Smith looks amazing against guys who come forward with power shots that are slower, he hits well with either hand but I think against someone who is fast and on and out style could cause him problems. I'd give the edge to Billy however Smith would beat him he was more active than Saunders

11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Billy is the more elusive fighter and Smith seemed to struggle with the southpaw stance of Ryder. I think Saunders footwork would have caused Smith problems to as he wouldn't let him set his feet. That said, Smith has height, range and power, it only takes one shot to turn a fight on its head.

BJS points or Smith stoppage.

12. coolcat45

coolcat45 Active Member Full Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Smith has been looking dead at the weight recently.

Usercom and LoadedGlove like this.
  13. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    BJS UD points win for me.

Smith clearly struggling seriously with 168, he has the frame of a cruiserweight there's only so many times you can boil yourself down when your naturally so big. Billy would have outboxed him over 12 rounds in what would have been a fairly uneventful fight.

14. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree.

15. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Don't write Smith off too much.

Remember he did take the fight at short notice.

Maybe he spent the whole camp taking off weight and did it too fast.

Maybe with a longer camp he could have been stronger and sharper. He probably thought he was good to go before he cut the weight.

It was obvious from the 1st bell he was ****ed,

Billy Joe got it all the way he wanted which was a fair fight and still got annihilated.

Smith thought he was good enough and wanted it so much that he went in disadvantaged and under prepared.

Maybe you might say what about the Ryder fight, what about the Argentinian cab driver fight. Smith thought Ryder was easy work so probably came in under prepared mentally too

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    destruction and Scissors like this.