How do you train footwork?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by withoutwire, Jan 21, 2011.

1. withoutwire

withoutwire Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I honestly have no idea

2. PNoyFightFanUSN

PNoyFightFanUSN Larry Don't Give a **** Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    practice proper movement (on your toes, moving in stance) and keep moving around in a square. practice moving in and out certain distances. I've only been training formally for about a month but those are some of the things my trainer has me do in the practice rings.

3. bballchump11

bballchump11 2011 Poster of the Year Full Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Shadow box with just focusing on footwork and work on speed, balance and of course the right technique.
    Practice some of this in a mirror also while shadow boxing
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqqo9KzOaao[/ame]

4. vibit

vibit Active Member Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I sometimes work on footwork by shadowboxing against a swinging heavybag, moving in and out, laterally, and also using pivots.

Use your imagination and start combining footwork with defensive maneuvers and counters.

5. RightHooker

RightHooker Active Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2009
    haha cool, I know the guy in that video. Never knew he had a youtube page of stuff.

6. bballchump11

bballchump11 2011 Poster of the Year Full Member

Oct 27, 2010
    You know him personally?

7. Sprawla

Sprawla Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    when you shadow box, do a few rounds of just footwork, spinning, lateral stepping, in out of range, easy to practise.

when you do pads, after each compo either, spin, step to the side or out of range.

8. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I couldn't help, I was naturally good with footwork.. but then again I'm a right-handed southpaw which I was told is natural for everyone that starts off.

9. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    A little thing to tryhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOLYQtjnIQ

10. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOLYQtjnIQ[/ame]

11. wayneflint

wayneflint Active Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2010
    To be honest i wouldnt move laterally like he does in that video bballchump posted, if someone comes after you when your feet are like that your ****ed lol.

Youve either gotta know your opponent your in with well and know what hes going to do next so you know hes not coming after you or just dont use that footwork at all, i know what id do.

What you need for footwork is coordination, balance and awareness, awareness of where your feet are, awareness of where your feet need to be to drive in any given direction, im trying my best to use any other word but conciousness but its very hard lol, because thats what its about if you ask me, conciousness, scraps exercises on those videos are exellent for training this, and for other things aswell.

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Quite like that video actually wayne- the lads a little square and I think you'd have to be on PED to move like that for 3 min rounds but good thought has gone into the vid- not bad.

Re Scraps video's I have done some of those drills and they are ****ing hard. Physiologically, if thats the word, listen to what this man has got to say readers.

13. mcguirpa

mcguirpa Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2009
    What you balancing on there scrap?

14. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    2 steel 8" pipes about a foot long, but one has rubber tread on. Theres a slight diffence in there movement and height, helps the Feel.

15. withoutwire

withoutwire Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2010
    How does it help footwork? I suppose balance is a big part of footwork