How Does Holyfield Do Up Against The Prime Foreman?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Apr 5, 2020.

Holyfield 1993 v Prime Foreman?

1. Foreman by ko?

51.1%
  2. Foreman on points?

2.1%
  3. Holyfield by ko?

17.0%
  4. Holyfield on points?

17.0%
  5. Holyfield loses by tko?

12.8%
  6. Foreman loses by tko?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I remember watching it live, via satellite on ABC's Wide World Of Sports, I watched it on a console television set.

Charlietf likes this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Oh please, Evander couldn't get rid of a 42 year old Foreman who moved like molasses and still got nailed by George. Evander ain't Muhammed Ali !!! and he sure ain't as slick as Jimmy Young. I'll stick with my prediction, Foreman blows away Evander

3. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I am not sure Evander would not beat the younger George. It is hard to pick since Evander does great against Tyson and Buster, and almost gets stopped by Cooper, whom the old George overpowered. I would probably pick George, but then again he might have left himself more open to an Evander counter than the older George did. The older George got a little smarter with pacing and picking his shots, yet he was slower and more lumbering.

ETM and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  4. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Let's not get too carried away. Evander did well against the husk of Douglas and the ghost of Tyson.

5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    All respect, but I'm not sure how much of a husk Douglas was (just came off the upset of the century where he looked easily in his greatest form). He was in poor shape, though. And it could be argued that Holy was even more past it than Tyson when they fought (he'd been soundly beaten by Moorer and kicked the crap out of by Bowe III).

6. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    "Husk" probably isn't the best word I could have used had I spent more time choosing, but he did indeed look out of shape and didn't seem to me at all committed to the fight.
    I don't think Tyson was shopworn or otherwise physiologically declined* all that much when he fought Holyfield, but I think the skill set and mental discipline that had once allowed him to maximize his physical assets was badly eroded.
    Just my perception.

*His hand speed did look significantly diminished last time I watched the fight, but not enough to fully explain the outcome in my estimation.

7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Well put. You hit the nail on the head.

I think 'Bowe 2 Holyfield' was as apt to brawl as 'Bowe 1 Holyfield', if the circumstances arose to trigger him.

Pre-Zaire George would give Evander nothing but invitations to go to war.

A tear up in this one is just so on the cards and I don't think Holyfield can win a firefight.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    He got caught too many times by an older, significantly slower Foreman...and backed waaay up. He fired back again and again, until the very end. Up BG's hand speed double in the 70s...there's no way he wouldn't finish Holy and as much as I love both fighters, Holy would be the warrior he always was and try to fight with him. Nobody fights with a prime Foreman.

Fergy and Man_Machine like this.
  9. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Good for you, stick to your opinion. I don't see it going that way. Nailed by George? I remember the fight differently. I saw Foreman get whopped and hurt. You don't need to be Ali or Jimmy Young to beat George. The blue print was there to beat him. Like I said in earlier post, George's only offence will hurt him here against a quick counter puncher, Foreman essential has no guard and is there to be cracked.
    His punches aren't the quickest so I don't see how Holy would not be able to counter him so easy

10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Bert Cooper had Evander out on his feet, Foreman would finish him

11. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    And period