How does Joshua hope to win rounds against Usyk, if he struggled against Povetkin?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    An couple of Mateusz Masternak interviews from earlier on in the year. Masternak has sparred Usyk and obviously he fought Bellew. Be interesting to get his take on Usyk vs Bellew

On Saturday in Riga will take place the first semifinal of the World Boxing Super Series (WBSS) to determine the best junior heavyweight boxer. Oleksandr Usyk will face the home player Mairis Briedis. On the form of Usyka, but not only told Mateusz Masternak in an interview with Polsatsport.pl.

Janusz Pinder: The Lord was in Kiev sparring partner Oleksander Usyka, who will face Latvian Mairis Briedis. What form is the Ukrainian favored in?

Mateusz Masternak: In the excellent, I found out for myself. I knew he was good, the champion of Europe and the world, and the gold medalist of the Olympics is not accidental. Just like a professional world champion. But it was only during the sparrings that I was convinced that it was better than I thought.

Did you pair with Mairis Briedis, it was easier?

I did it several times and I can say that Mairis is a very good, strong and clever boxer, but Usyk is something more. A Ukrainian is unique in many respects, I have never felt so helpless with anyone in the ring like with him. And I had to deal with many world champions.

What is the uniqueness of a Ukrainian?

Incredible motor skills and efficiency. 15 sparring rounds with different rivals is no problem for him. He fights very wisely using his left-handedness. He is a natural left-hander with an excellent right hand that sets opponents. It moves brilliantly, it feels perfectly at a distance. He is better at counter-attacking, but he can also successfully attack. And he's patient, he's in no hurry, he's doing his thing.

But Briedis is very strong, he beats heavily.

That's right, that's why it will be an interesting, exciting fight. Only that Briedis can not stand the pace of Usyka, the intensity of the duel. In his second phase he will weaken from the ore to the round and will eventually lose before time.

In the clash of two world champions, this can not be ruled out, although I think that the fight will end with a Ukrainian win. Usyk has slightly better conditions than Briedis.

It is reported that it measures 190 cm, but it is probably a bit lower. I am 186 cm high and he is slightly taller. However, he has a large range of hands, and he feels in the ring.

They say that they kill a lot, normally it weighs about a hundred kilos. He is 31 years old, and sooner or later he will go to heavy weight.

I think so too. On January 17, I celebrated the birthday I was on. When the cakes came in, Szasza did not even taste a piece. You can see that he strictly adheres to the diet.

Do you think that he will win this tournament and unify titles?

I think so. It's hard to say who will win the second semi-final, which will be played on February 3 in Sochi. The Russian Murat Gassijew with Cuban Yunier Dorticos will face him. I think Gassijew will win, but in the final it will not give Uski a chance. I also sparred with him and I know that he does not like straight blows. And Usyk can use such weaknesses ruthlessly.

Do you believe that Usyk will unify titles in a cruiser to a heavyweight?

Everything indicates it, because it has problems with weight loss, but not immediately.

PRZEMYSLAW OSIAK: For two weeks you were in Kiev on the matches with WBO world champion cruiser cruiser Oleksandr Usyk, getting ready for Saturday's fight in the semi-final of the World Boxing Super Series tournament in Riga with WBC Mairis Briedis belt holder. Briton Isaac Chamberlain reported that you gave the Ukrainian a really big impression.

MATEUSZ MASTERNAK: I'm probably too old to get excited about such statements. Yes, I went to the ring not to jump for three rounds and to return to the hotel for dinner. I take each sparring seriously and I am not afraid to strike for fear of a counter. I think that I helped Uski a lot. And whether sparks were falling? I was just doing my job, I could learn something about myself despite my extensive experience. I returned home happy.

What was your role?

Mateusz Masternak: I 've been with Usyk three times a week. I went to the ring for example in two rounds, I changed with another sparring partner and waited for three rounds, I returned for the next two. The idea was that Oleksandr would still box with someone who was rested and that he would spend up to 15 rounds in the ring. I have fought four rounds with him for the longest time. In this way, I would not be prepared for my own duel.

A Ukrainian is as good as it is commonly believed?

Mateusz Masternak: It's better than I thought. Perfectly trained technically, damned intelligent, has a great sense of distance, leg work. It is difficult to find an element which would be unfinished. He is a real champion and if he is ready mentally, because he is physically for sure, then in the cruiser category he will win with everyone.

Others say, however, that in sparring you can not get to know the boxer well, and his skill is verified only by the fight.

Mateusz Masternak: I think that talk does not make sense. If someone knows about boxing, they quickly get to know who they're paired with. Of course, sometimes a boxer is focused on grinding one element of the fight, perhaps uncomfortable for himself. And although you win, he consistently concentrates on this element. However, after all, you find out what this boxer represents. Usyk was different. Once he focused on a very large number of loose blows, other sparrings were more forceful. A good boxer does not go below a certain level. And even if he is tired, he does not have his day, he can not hurt himself.

How much do you miss from the level of Usyka?

Mateusz Masternak: Assuming that Oleksandr will win the World Boxing Super Series tournament and go to the heavy category - and I think this will happen, I will be able to take on the challenge of cruiser scales. And I think that you will not have to put me in a lost position.

Harsh can he deal with Briedis?

Mateusz Masternak: Mairis came to Warsaw three or four times, we parried before my fights. He is a good boxer. He can hit hard, he is physically strong, but he is a completely different player than Usyk. Oleksandr is left-handed, taller, faster and more cunning. His boxing IQ is higher. If I had to choose a rival for myself, it would be him Briedis. His fighting style, size and technique would make it boxing easier with him.

And who will pick up the IBF and WBA belts next Saturday in Sochi, up to the WBSS final: Murat Gassijew or Yunier Dorticos?

Mateusz Masternak: This is an exciting encounter. Both boxes are technically, but they are more likely to put on fists. A great fight is being prepared, but it seems to me that Gassijew can break the Cuban in the second phase of the fight. He is better in defense, he can hit hard, and in the skirmish with Denis Lebedev he proved that he can take a blow and withstand the high intensity of the duel for 12 rounds. On the other hand, one right Dorticos and Dmitri Kudriaszov were quickly knocked out. For me, the minimal favorite is Gassijew.

Holler likes this.
  2. boxer_toxer

boxer_toxer New Member Full Member

Sep 7, 2018
    I think Povetkin is a better boxer than Usyk. I wouldn't be surprised if Povetkin defeated AJ, if he hadn't get caught by that unfortunate punch in round 7.

Plus, Usyk has a weaker chin than Povetkin. Gassiev had rocked his world afew times in their title bout, after that incident, Usyk kept him away with his robotic jab style. Due to reach disadvantage, Gassiev couldn't get to his chin, but he was able to do it a few times, and when he did, Usyk's knees wobbled.

AJ, who has a reach and power advantage, would crush Usyk easily, in my opinion.

I should add that, I think we will see Povetkin again in a IBF/WBA/WBC/WBO title match, because I don't see anyone that could defeat him in the division, other than AJ.

TheCrazyCal and Rockradar like this.
  3. Boxingfan200

Boxingfan200 USYK #1 P4P banned Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    idiots saying this version of povetkin would have a chance vs usyk ? LMAO. Should all be banned from boxing for such a statement. usyk fought big heavys in the am's it wont be a problem for him.

wifly likes this.
  4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    AJ did not struggle vs Povetkin. Losing a few rounds does not equate to struggling.

5. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Fury would be one tough fight for uysk!

CST80 likes this.
  6. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    2Slyk , though elite,is unproven in the unedited version of the HW division. Wait to see what he does there first.

7. IKSAB

IKSAB Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 29, 2014
    :loel:

deadACE likes this.
  8. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    But... but... but, Skeeeeellz pay the billzzz right? Why is it that you always fail to notice when guys you don't care for are fighting excellently off the backfoot, and conveniently only notice it when its guys you do like. Hmmmm.

9. IKSAB

IKSAB Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Adelaide Byrd would approve greatly of your scorecard

GALVATRON and deadACE like this.
  10. Revived Hagravens

Revived Hagravens New Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Povetkin may only have a slim chance with everything stacked against him but he's still no pushover.

11. Guybino

Guybino Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    "big heavies in the ams"

Yeah but any of them Olympic Gold medalists?

nah didn't think so.

12. Kaan

Kaan Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2017
    This is a big question! The things is... How does Usyk survive 12 rounds against Joshua is a big question too! We'd have to see more of him. Simple as that. I'd love it if Bellew fight was in HW and not CW. So Bellew wouldn't have to come down.

13. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Didn't you say that WSB fights should be recorded as professional bouts? Usyk fought super heavies like Joyce and Majidov in WSB. So Usyk has shown what he is capable of against actual heavyweights in pro fights by your standards....

mirkofilipovic likes this.
  14. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Parker is not 6'4" he is lying about his height.

6'3" at most: [url]https://www.celebheights.com/s/Joseph-Parker-50917.html[/url]

Luis Fernando likes this.
  15. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    What makes you think that Usyk is better than Povetkin. I don't. Especially a Povetkin who juiced. Both Olympic gold medalists, about the same size, Usyk is younger which is his advantage and slightly faster, but Povetkin is a better fighter, more powerful and more experienced with FAR better competition.