How does Joshua hope to win rounds against Usyk, if he struggled against Povetkin?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    You're the one who initially claimed Povetkin's face was damaged, as in to imply it meant anything in the first place. Povetkin has a pale skin to begin with. Meaning, even if both inflict similar / equal amount of damage on each other, Povetkin's face will show far more damage than Anthony Joshua's darker skin. Thus, you're point there becomes irrelevant. Since more VISIBLE facial damage on a pale skinned boxer doesn't prove he was more damaged than the darker skinned boxer.

Secondly, you have to prove Povetkin's face was visibly damaged from a punch. Otherwise, it's totally irrelevant. There were multiple head clashes. I haven't got the time to go through the whole fight, just to cater to your needs.

Thirdly, Wilder - Duhaupas was a fight where the darker skinned guy's face had EXTREME visible damage. When that happens, it can't be ignored. Since it's not very common for someone like Deontay Wilder who has as dark a skin that he has, to have such visible damage marks. As the darker the skin, the less visible the mark. Meanwhile, Povetkin regularly gets marked up in nearly every fight (due to his pale skin). So Joshua marking up Povetkin's face means very little.

You're committing a false equivalence! Mr False Equivalence!

I'm the biggest idiot you have ever witnessed on the internet? And you're the most obsessed individual I've ever encountered on the internet, with literal personal fetishes and personal obsessions of other online users such as myself. You've inadvertently let slip multiple times how important my words are online, and how much of a threat they pose to you, and how much you care about / value my thoughts. And how much effect my actions have on you. And how you have to mention my name to refer to me in random posts, even though nobody (perhaps other than you and your personal buddies), cares about the names of random online users.

Yup, I'd rather be an 'idiot' than be the most obsessed user online, obsessed with other random online users.

Yup, keep saying that will be the last response. I'm pretty confident you will respond again, you're obsession knows no bounds.

To confirm, there is no punch footage posted by that poster, showing that a punch actually caused Povetkin's visible facial damage.

Heydumbo was lying / mistaken / confused, most likely lying though.

2. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    He KTFO Ped...?

3. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No matter how you dress it up to suit your visible agenda(s), Joshua won by a KO. Again.

Deal with and accept this fact.

It really is that simple. Two men fought, one emerged victorious in an upright unmarked condition, the other didn't as he suffered both faults, visibly marked and ending up horizontal.

Too many people are too entrenched into various corners and are unable, for fear of losing "internet face", to give the object of their (misplaced) abject disdain, any kind of props, kudos and outright praise, upon a job well done.

Takes balls to praise a fighter that has beaten both your favourite and yourself into submission.

As you were chaps...

Aydamn and Geo1122 like this.
  4. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    A few corrections!

Joshua won by TKO and not KO!

Anthony Joshua also had a busted up nose. So he wasn't totally unmarked.

And I don't know what your point is with the rest of your post. Even before the fight, I gave Povetkin 0 chance at beating Anthony Joshua. I've been posting all along that Joshua would not only win, but by an EXTREMELY wide margin. That wasn't the case. Hence my criticism.

If Anthony Joshua needs that many rounds and has that much difficulty against a much smaller, much older, shot opponent who was never a REAL heavyweight to begin with whilst also fighting in the comfort of his own home, then his quality / worth as a boxer must be seriously questioned. Winning isn't good enough! What's required is a win by a super impressive margin against someone like Povetkin and that wasn't the case.

I don't need to give Joshua credit, since he didn't perform to the reasonable standard that was set for him.

If a T-REX in its prime, fights an old sick mouse who no longer has the legs, endurance or athleticism it once had. And the T-REX takes literally 30 minutes to finally kill that mouse, then that would raise SEVERE and SERIOUS question marks in regards to that T-REX's quality / worth as a fighter.

It is ANYTHING but impressive to beat an old, shot boxer like Povetkin when he's at age 39. Even less, to beat him in such an indecisive manner. If we're going to start praising today's heavyweights like Anthony Joshua for beating washed up has beens that are also much smaller in size like Povetkin, then the current era has to be seriously questioned in terms of its quality.

5. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Don't blame Joshua, blame the governing bodies who rank the fighters into Mandatory positions, etc. By your way of thinking, you seem to be suggesting that every weight limit should carry an age limit of say, 35, to avoid "aged fighters" from participating in any fight. Povetkin gave what he could for 4 or 5 rounds. Against another fighter, it might have been enough.

As for AJs nose, I did say "visibly marked". Post fight, he looked okay whereas Povetkin didn't. See the video where AJ goes into Povetkins dressing room post fight for evidence.

Finally, TKO or KO, the end result remained the same. Off your feet and fight over as Povetkin was.

6. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    With regards to the original question

If Usyk uses a peekaboo defence against Joshua he’s going to get battered and bloodied by his own glove leather. The power of Joshua jab & straight right will travel directly through to Usyks face even if he’s catching them on his gloves. At the same time Joshua’s reach is going to keep Usyk too far away for him to consistently throw any meaningful counters.

Usyk doesn’t do well when his opponent moves anti-clockwise, he takes too many left hooks as his opponent steps left which isn’t OK against anyone but against a man 35lbs heavier and a noted left hook finisher he’ll find himself in trouble.

Workrate won’t really help him because he’ll find it hard to get in range and his normal accuracy will suffer for the same reason. I fully expect him to stick around for a few rounds because he’s a champion and has a strong winning mentality but as rounds go by he’s going to get tenderised to the right rib cage and will eventually fall to a left hook straight right combination.

Joshua by TKO Rd 8

bandeedo likes this.
  7. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Well according to all your logic about size, it sounds like Usyk doesn't stand a chance against the much bigger Joshua. Or is that somehow different now with Usyk and size doesn't matter all of a sudden?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  8. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    In Povektin's case, it's not just size alone, but a combination of various things, ALONG with the size disadvantage Povetkin faced against Joshua.

It's size + weight + reach + height + muscle mass + age + judges + location of bout + style.

1) Anthony Joshua had a 24 pound weight advantage over Povetkin.

2) Anthony Joshua had a longer reach than Povetkin by 7 inches.

3) Anthony Joshua was at least 4 inches taller than Povetkin.

4) Anthony Joshua probably had over 50 pounds on Povetkin, if we just go by their muscle weight and ignore weight composed of fat (which Povetkin is MOSTLY composed of).

5) Anthony Joshua was 11 years younger than Povetkin and was in his prime, whilst Povetkin was past prime / shot.

6) Judges were favoring Anthony Joshua

7) Anthony Joshua was fighting in his hometown where most of the fans were in his favor.

8) Povetkin probably had the worst style to beat Anthony Joshua's style.

These are 8 indisputable advantages Joshua had over Povetkin. When you add all of them up, you'd realize that Povetkin had no REASONABLE chances of beating Joshua. And anybody who thought Povetkin had any chance outside of a TOTAL miracle, are individuals who are either totally ignorant, deluded, lacking in logical skills or a combination of those things.

Oleksandr Usyk doesn't face as many disadvantages against Anthony Joshua as Povetkin did.

Unlike Povetkin, Usyk can fight Joshua whilst he's still in his prime. And he also has the more suitable style to beat Joshua. Usyk also has a longer reach than Povetkin and is also taller.

Size matters MOST in the heavyweight division. However, there can be very RARE exceptions where an EXTREMELY skilled smaller boxer that can negative size disadvantages. I believe Usyk falls into that category.

Usyk is an exception, unlike other small boxers / small heavyweights. These exceptions are EXTREMELY rare. And Usyk is one, because he is a very special boxer with a very special skill set / skill level. Usyk is at least 3X more skilled than Povetkin, if not even more.

9. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    Yes, I do blame the governing bodies. But I also blame Anthony Joshua for losing multiple rounds to a guy who had no business winning even a single round. I blame Anthony Joshua for taking more than half the fight to finish off a guy that had no business even lasting half the fight. Those things expose Joshua's quality to be severely lacking as a boxer.

A darker skinned boxer having no visible mark is irrelevant. It's less visible on someone with darker skin. Whilst a guy with pale skin will have mark that is more easily visible, even if the darker skinned guy was equally damaged.

And no, a KO isn't the same 'result' as a TKO. Hence they are different words / terms, as they describe different things.

And yes, no boxer should be considered an 'elite' level boxer after reaching that age. Beating an opponent after they are in their 40's is totally irrelevant and meaningless. And unless you're having a super easy time in doing so, then you deserve criticism.

10. Rockradar

Oct 1, 2016
    Well now you can admit that this contradicts your long detailed posts about why size matters in the heavyweight division. Everything you said about size, now goes out the window for an unproven soon to be heavyweight that isn't a noted power puncher. You have a hunch that Usyk is this rare exception but I have seen him struggle with good boxers like Gassiev who have far lesser power than a lot of the top heavies that Usyk is coming up against.

11. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    No, it doesn't! Ever heard of the phrase: "there are exceptions to rules"? This is it! Usyk is an exception to that rule and not the norm. And I've explained why.

Usyk struggled against Gassiev? I didn't see any such thing. I saw Usyk win pretty much every round. That's not the definition of 'struggling'.

Gassiev has far less power than a lot of top heavies? How do you know that?

12. Rockradar

Oct 1, 2016
    Well that clearly contradicts everything you said about size. What you had to say about Joshua and Povetkin in size was clear cut. You can't have it both ways or in such a way you could bend it to suit boxers that you like. That just destroys your theories.

If you do not know that then you don't know the difference between the two divisions. What I'm saying is axiomatic boxing knowledge. This is a no brainer and I thought that someone who has been writing long posts about bigger size athletes and their power would at least understand this. Its almost like another contradiction.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. Luis Fernando

Aug 23, 2017
    No it doesn't! Since that's merely an exception to the rule and not the norm.

Secondly, I've already explained that Povetkin's disadvantage wasn't just his size, but a combination of other disadvantages combined with his size disadvantage that gave him practically no chance at beating Anthony Joshua. Why are you ignoring that point? Or are you incapable of comprehending it?

Usyk doesn't face those OTHER disadvantages that Povetkin faced against Anthony Joshua.

Well, your point about Gassiev is TOTALLY, and I mean TOTALLY irrelevant, because Usyk won pretty much every round against him. Whereas you claimed Usyk apparently 'struggled'. So don't start telling me about 'axiomatic boxing knowledge', when you don't even know what it means for a boxer to 'struggle'.

Furthermore, Usyk has already faced SUPER HEAVYWEIGHTS who arguably hit just as hard, if not harder than the top heavyweights of today. So I have no reason to doubt Usyk's durability.

14. Rockradar

Oct 1, 2016
    Well thats your opinion. I thought Usyk struggling against Gassiev is some earlier rounds.

Like I said before, the top heavies hit harder than Gassiev and thats a no brainer. Im sure you questioned that. In the cruiserweights theres not many knockouts when the top faces the top. In the heavyweights its a different story as we've seen time and time again because as they say, in the heavyweight division, all it takes is one punch. They don't say that about the cruiserweight division, not as much power. But thats a no brainer :)

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Heavyweights are stronger and more powerful than cruisers, Usyk has never been hit by a Top heavy, he fought Joyce in the amateurs but didn`t get hit with any power shots and AJ`s hand speed is a lot quicker than Joyce`s Usyk will be very wary of AJ`s power.

Rockradar likes this.