How does Paulo Costa`s power compare a cruisseweight boxers power?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by mark ant, Oct 25, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Costa is the hardest punching MMA fighter in history under 205lbs so how would his power compare to a cruiserweight or light-heavyweigts boxers punch power, do any light heavy boxing champs punch harder than him?

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 "Jack sure can whack” banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Due to the requirements for MMA they don't have the chance to maximise there power there stances, mechanics ect all need to suit MMA.

I'd say poorly, Give a boxer his gloves and you'd see frightening results.

mark ant likes this.
  3. TMLT87

TMLT87 Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2021
    It wouldnt compare very well, but to be fair, he is most definitely NOT the hardest MMA puncher ever under 205. Hendo, Vitor, Wand, Manhoef etc hit harder. Even at current 185 guys like Cannonier, Buckley and Holland may well be bigger punchers, maybe even Luque at 170.

Suspect.chin and Deew like this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think the hardest hitting MMA guys compare fine with boxers in terms of power. I mean you look at a guy like Dan Henderson and it's clear from the get-go that the dude has freak, gorilla power. Where boxers are undeniably superior is in landing that power and in avoiding it. An MMA guy will often try and pin a superior striker and force his shots onto him; a boxer doesn't have that luxury.

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Bergeron Avatar Club Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I think top level boxers are also whittled down to people who are abnormally good at absorbing head shots. MMA guys have this too, but I don't know whether it's to the same degree.

BCS8 likes this.