How does Usyk do against these past great heavyweights in their primes?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by SergioJ91, Aug 13, 2022.

1. SergioJ91

SergioJ91 Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2021
    In no particular order -

Muhammad Ali
    Joe Louis
    Larry Holmes
    Rocky Marciano
    George Foreman
    Joe Frazier
    Lennox Lewis
    Evander Holyfield
    Riddick Bowe
    Mike Tyson
    Jack Dempsey
    Jersey Joe Walcott
    Sonny Liston
    Ken Norton
    Wladimir/Vitali Klitschko

2. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    He has a chance to beat every single HW in history, just because of his footwork, stamina and ring IQ.

Past HW has very poor defence and are just rough guys with power, which is Usyks bread and butter.

lordlosh, CST80, The Townsend and 7 others like this.
  3. Guerra

Guerra Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Funny thing is of AJ catches him in round 3 next week and ko's him this and future threads will end up way different.
    Then suddenly Rahman or Marciano would be favoured over him

Barm, Furey, Bonecrusher and 4 others like this.
  4. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    I think he would beat Dempsey, Vitali, Walcott (tricky fight), Rocky (especially in a 12 rounder)
    Lennox and Mike would probably win by stoppage. Vladimir would be a boring fight where Usyk gets pushed around

MarkusFlorez99 and AdamT like this.
  5. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Not a problem.

I don't care about that. I was one of few, who was saying that Usyks gonna win with very big margin.

That's casual way of thinking. follow the trend, without thinking or analyzing.

According to many, Usyk was "bossing" Wlad in the camp for Fury.

This content is protected

6. CroBox29

CroBox29 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Usyk can beat all the mentioned fighters, they are not better than him in any way, but of course nostalgic people will always prefer old fighters...

7. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Fighters he definitely doesn't beat imo

Ali
    Foreman
    Holmes
    Tyson
    Lewis
    Wlad
    Vitali

I would favour Frazier, but not confident with that
    Pick like the others

I haven't seen enough of Liston other than his days as champ, but I would back a prime Liston too

8. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Usyk would finish under .500 if he fought once against each of them. His easiest win would be Norton who is about as overrated as any heavyweight in history. He would also beat Jersey Joe who wasn't 49-20 because of bad luck. Dempsey, Frazier, Marciano, Holyfield and Bowe would be good fights based styles, talent level and match ups. Usyk would lose to the rest.

By the way, for those who weighed under 200 such as Dempsey and Marciano, my thought on this is that they were fighting the cruiserweight version of Usyk.

Fourth_Horseman likes this.
  9. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Rahman? Hm, definitely no. He was as average as they come. I mean, prime Rahman brealy beat shot 40 y.o. cruiserweight Al Cole who was inferior to Usyk in everything even in his prime. And prime Rahman was battered by shot Hollyfield

10. ShortRound

ShortRound Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    How many good southpaws did the fighters on this list fight?

Because if they never fought a good southpaw or even a southpaw at all (and probably sparred few to none either) I don't see how you can favour them over the CW + HW SOUTHPAW GOAT.

The only ones who fought several good southpaws are Holyfield, Vitali and Wlad.

Holyfield went 1-3 against LHW Moorer, LHW Byrd and CW Sultan. Even egotistical Holyfield admitted that "in this era" Usyk would win.

Vitali lost to LHW Byrd on injury while ahead on points, though he wasn't able to dominate the exchanges. Bodes poorly against Usyk.

Wlad lost to power puncher Sanders but did beat LHW Byrd x2, Thompson x2, CW Sultan, CW Chagaev. Wlad had the most power of all the fighters on your list and was probably the best pointfighter. So combined with his vast southpaw experience, he would have a decent chance against Usyk.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  11. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Vitaly Wladimir Lewis and Ali beat him the rest I have no idea

12. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    P4P he is better than all of them. H2H only a few SHW's Would be a problem due to the size gap.

FartWristedBum and catchwtboxing like this.
  13. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Excellent post! Dead on.

ShortRound likes this.
  14. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I think he beats most and has a chance against any, but I admit we are low on data for me to make the case.

Look, he is 6'3", fight at over 220, a technical southpaw master, fast, great defense, iron chin, can throw almost a 1000 a fight when he wants, and can turn on the power when he fells like it. He hasn't got a actual weakness. Are there guys who are bigger and hit harder? Sure. Prime Ali was faster. But yeah, the best southpaw heavy of all time has a shot at any fight.

15. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    What past heavyweights are you referring to?