How far can Tommy Fury go?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, Mar 1, 2021.

1. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    I’m sure Sam Sexton was a farmer.

bbjc likes this.
  2. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I think I’m a Celebrity is a step too far and he’ll get found out at that level. Only the true greats do it there, Benn, Eubank, Bugner, Haye and Khan have all had a pop but the big names such as Tony Blackburn, Carl Fogerty and Janine Butcher from Eastenders rule supreme there.

3. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Don't dislike the guy by any means but not far...think he will just get fed nobodies forever...doesn't appear to have the talents some of his other family members have.....he loads up so much on the right hand Steven hawking could see it coming..... and slip it

4. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Fair play to him for cracking on when he could have a far easier life. He doesn’t need to do this, so you can’t knock his commitment but right now he doesn’t pass the eye test for me. I don’t think he could reach Dave Allen levels.

5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I must admit that I don't follow the life of Tommy Fury outside of what he does in boxing, I've never watched an episode of Love Island, Ex On The Beach, Dinner With The Ex, Ex At The Clinic etc so I don't know what anyone that's on them does next but just what exactly is on the table for someone who won Love Island a few years back? Genuine question, I have no idea what else he could be doing right now, was there really much demand for him to anything else? He has never struck me as someone talk shows would be fighting over themselves to get on, there's only so many Celebrities Doing This shows and such is the conveyor belt of new celebrities comings through these days that anyone is easily replaceable unless they have serious star quality or are at least a little controversial. The only thing controversial about Tommy is that his dad used to beat women and ended up in prison for gouging a man's eye out.

Dannymita likes this.
  6. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    My Mrs follows it all quite a lot. Most eventually fade away but the ones that make a name of themselves on the show are generally on the fringe celebrity circuit for a while, though it helps if they’ve got something else on the table. For example, Danny Dyers daughter won it and is quite famous now but she obviously comes from a famous family. The other ones that do okay just really advertise things to their thousands of followers on instagram and get paid a grand here and there for appearances.

EJC83 likes this.
  7. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Cheers. So really, unless Tommy develops some outgoing personality or reveals some creative talent there's not really much work for a ten a penny good enough looking young lad. The boxing makes a lot more sense now, there's more money to be made from slowly moving him along than waiting to appear on some show that will probably only highlight the fact that he has no shelf life in that industry.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    All the way to the bank.

The next 7-20 Lithuanian bricklayer is being lined up as we speak, after that a trip to the jungle with Ant & Dec or a foray onto the BBC's dancefloor. Good times for Tommy.

EJC83 likes this.
  9. Journey Man

Aug 22, 2009
    Definitely mate. No he’s not going to make it massive on the personality side so boxing definitely makes most sense. He looks good beating up no-hopers and his fights become a bit of a social event for all the influencers to go to - its a different crowd and he’ll probably command better money than a 5-0 prospect with no amateur background generally would.

EJC83 likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    He does not appear to have the footwork and movement for Strictly Come Dancing either - I hope he can cook.

11. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    The boxing is basically a supplement toward his current "influencer" lifestyle. Many of these influencers make most of their money from monetisation through brand partnerships - it's outrageous, really, but there is a huge market for this stuff. It's really dumb stuff, complete brain poison.

Jurgen and Wizbit1013 like this.
  12. AJH

AJH Member Full Member

Jul 5, 2018
    He certainly doesn't need to do the boxing whilst he's with that girl from the show. She's worth well over a million alone (possibly more than £2mill) since she left the show. I read an article on it a while back, she gets over £10k when she posts something on her Instagram account and her main earnings I presume is the womens fashion / clothes site Pretty Little Things (think that's a nice £500k there!).

Tommy himself has a Boohoo deal which must pay well and their Instagrams both have adverts on for McDonalds and Disney Plus so I imagine that they pay pretty well!

13. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Depends on how much the line the path for him. His technique is painful, you can see that left-hand drop when he throws the right. But hey what the **** do I know. With the right fights maybe he may well go far.

14. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Like others have said, he’s persisting this when he’s massively set for life with everything that could be set his way after Love Island. He really doesn’t look that good though but one thing he’s got in his favour is they can match him up well and pick the opponents carefully. It’ll be an interesting journey I’m sure...

15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I have no idea how far he can go, the cynic in me want to shred him and take the pee but..

He comes from that family, that fighting family, The Furys, so how can I write this man off?

He looks the part, he looks to have some power and most importantly he has good people around him who have been there, seen it and done it so he has every chance if he is genuinely good enough.

I actually like the fact they are saying they will not rush him whatsoever, John Fury is saying he'll have lots of fights like the one he had over the weekend and won't be pressured to go any faster.

But they have to keep him low on cards, way down the card, the moment they start having him near the top then all these "easy learning fights" are not acceptable in my opinion.

You can't have it both ways, if you want a real slow run up then fine, I'm cool with that but don't turn around and have him on the posters, in the promos and on the advertising until he starts being in somewhat competitive fights.

AJH likes this.