How Goes A Fight Between Liston (1962) V Foreman (1973)?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    So essentially, this is a fight between Liston of the first Patterson ft,
    Up against Foreman who beat Frazier.

I'm making George a massive favourite here, but more interested in how Liston would fight the younger, less experienced man.
    Is there a way that Sonny can handle that beast, charging from the corner at him?
    Or am I giving George too much credit here?

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Realistically, the impression that Old Man Liston made on George as a young man might be an issue here. Foreman may react differently knowing he's going to be facing a prime Liston than he would for facing somebody like Lyle, Shavers, or whomever.

Rakesh, BCS8, swagdelfadeel and 2 others like this.
  3. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    I am going to favor Sonny because he was simply a better boxer, as strong as george (if not stronger) and he could hit as hard, if not harder, than Foreman, with a much better stamina.
    but make no mistake, he would have to be 100%.

But George would be a very live dog!!
    He would look to bull inside, and make it a donnybrook depending on his larger size, almost equal strength, and iron chin.

But I think Sonny would box George instead of exchanging bombs with him.
    He has a 5 inch reach advantage, and much more skill and he would be able to avoid a shootout and keep George from using his bulk to tire him out. (To be fair, i would still favor the big bear even in a slugfest, he has more advantages)
    Liston TKO 12.

ETM, swagdelfadeel and Fergy like this.
  4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Liston was more skilled and may very well win. I’ve never been sold on his durability though. If Foreman can land some flurries early he might be able to get him out of there. On the other hand, if the match goes into the mid rounds things might start looking better for Sonny

Stiches Yarn and Fergy like this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Is it unrealistic to say that George and Liston lock horns early and Sonny gets hurt and kod early?
    Sort of similar to Frazier?
    It really, really wouldn't shock me.

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Where George foreman is concerned anything can happen

Fergy and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    George Foreman wins, IMHO, of course. I'd bet on it, if I could.

8. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Punching power between the two is debatable. Skill and adaptive abilities are not.

Liston KO6

Stiches Yarn and Fergy like this.
  9. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I like Liston in this match up.

Sonny has a domineering jab, better overall delivery system and was more technically proficient with power to boot. Foreman could win, but I think Liston has more going for him.

Sangria and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Liston should win.
    He is as strong and as powerful. He is about the same or close in durability levels. And he is far more skillful and complete as a boxer.

Sangria, ETM and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I think Sonny would come out confident behind that brutal left jab. Liston would really be looking for George to make a mistake and leave himself opening for the killer Liston lefthook. I could Foreman being the aggressor he may move Sonny back occasionally. Liston keeping his guard up and throwing the shorter punches.
    Overall though this is an intense, firefight that won't go the distance. Sonny's experience may be the deciding factor.

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It's not unrealistic. Foreman had.wrecking balls in his gloves. He was fearless going for the finish..

13. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I believe I posted a hypothetical match between these two greats last year or the year before, I posted something along the lines that Sonny Liston saw George Foreman on television, and decided instead to watch his favorite television program, The Beverly Hillbillies, true Liston said in an interview that was his favorite shows. Fergy, scroll through the archives if you will, it had me in stitches as I wrote it.