How good a boxer is Conor Benn?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by JonasLindberg, Sep 8, 2021.

1. JonasLindberg

JonasLindberg New Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2021
    And what did you think of him against Granados?

2. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Swings for the fences with every punch. Somone is going to counter punch him after he's out of position and KO's him brutally.

rodney, chacal, channy and 12 others like this.
  3. MagicE

MagicE Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Fundamentals wise Not good at all but physically he's got it. I think he's getting to the point where it's getting too late for him to learn new tricks. He might manage to get a belt with the matchroom machine behind him then have a couple of big UK cash grab fights before losing

4. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Hes good, and hes explosive so that makes him exciting to watch.

5. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Too wild loads up every punch. Telegraphs. Chin looks unprotected. Has good speed.

chacal and Holler like this.
  6. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Benn UK future world champion.

7. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Granados surprised me having a left more left than I expected. Benn declined the opportunity to add layers to his game, he had a good opportunity to do it. That could have been a very good learning experience but it felt wasted.

He has a lot of hard to obtain physical gifts so we'll see if he coasts on those or if he feels the need to develop further.

Holler and Oneirokritis like this.
  8. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I suspect he will coast if he has people around him telling him that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

sasto and Inglis_1 like this.
  9. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Skill wise? On a scale of 1 - 10 I give him a solid 3/10. He is physically gifted, young and strong, but if we're talking about boxing skills he has almost none.

10. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Eddie will turn him into a ppv star fighter. They will earn a lot of money with him on fight cards.

11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Not yet the best in Britain imo.

12. TheShellofKell

TheShellofKell Nakatani Future P4P #1 Full Member

Sep 3, 2021
    This..... he does however still have time, he is only 24 and has very little amateur experience, i would be surprised to see him become world champion, but stranger things have happened.

13. Mugen38

Mugen38 Member Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Nowhere near as good as he & Eddie Hearn think he is & a brutal ko waiting to happen!

14. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    That’s literally Hearns job to do that.

15. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I think he's talented, good speed, OK power and he has some good tools in his arsenal but I can't help but think he lacks the craft and intelligent boxing to put all his attributes together to be able to compete at the top level.

He's going to be a guy that's dangerous early but then when you've figured him out some what he becomes far less effective and he doesn't have the ring craft to alter what he does, he just keeps doing what he knows but tries harder and that's never going to translate to success when facing top opposition.

And that's what we saw vs Granados. He showed him the right hand early, had success but then Granados was just looking for the right hand the rest of the fight. Benn should of then been looking to set him up for the left as Granados was focused on the right but he never did. Benn had success early with the right hand then just stuck with it. Better boxers recognise having success in one way opens up opportunities elsewhere that's how you build momentum in a fight and take guys apart piece by piece and Benn simply lacks the ring IQ or the right trainer to teach him this right now.

If he's ever going to progress to the next level and compete and win world titles he's going to need more than he currently has shown me. He has the potential but I feel he's not showing me the kind of progression I would expect from a top prospect.