How good could Tony Tubbs have been?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Oct 21, 2020.

1. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    If he was motivated and in shape, how much potential do you think he had?

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This is what yoo ponder when thinking of boxing; if BigTittyCokeSniffin' Tubbs could be great?

3. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    lol

I try and come up with interesting threads, so yes. I think certain other topics have been discussed a 1000 times each.

4. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Agree.. He could have been a good champ.. He had skills.
    I pick prime fat Tubbs vs Wilder, Joshua etc... Top 3 today

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    What do you ponder?

6. El Hans

El Hans Member banned Full Member

May 30, 2019
    The only thing that motivated Tubbs was bra shopping and coke.

7. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    As a boxer or a page 3 girl?

Sorry I could not resist!

timmers612 and George Crowcroft like this.
  8. mochabuzz

mochabuzz Active Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2005
    even when tubbs weighed 245lbs or so he was still formidable. If he actually trained and was somewhat disciplined he would have held a belt for a year or two.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think had he shown up in top form he could have retained his belt against Tim Witherspoon. Tubbs was in dreadful shape for that fight yet it was still close. He then could have had another defense or two before eventually losing to mike Tyson.

lloydturnip and Man_Machine like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Tubbs at his best beats Bowe at his best.

11. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I suppose he could've maybe gone from being the #2 Tony T. nicknamed TNT of his era, to the #1, if they met h2h.

Maybe.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    ^ what an oddly specific niche to have more than one guy fill simultaneously. :dunno

Both born in '58, both African Americans, both lost to prime Tyson, both considered very talented heavyweights that could have had brighter careers had certain whatever gone differently/could have had longer/better/more reigns in a different era.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    So you don't think any room for improvement existed in any of his fights had Tubbs been more in shape and/or motivated as the OP says? :thinking:

Most would disagree with you.

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    So, do you think Buster Douglas for instance couldn't have maybe had a better career, been more than essentially a one hit wonder?

15. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Tubbs came along at right time to get an alphabet belt. Tucker just about eeked out an alphabet belt at the end of the merry go round...in a sense both may be slightly fortunate there imho....if there had only been 1 champ throughout the 80s and 90s...there would still have been a still lesser merry go round of sorts....larry Holmes...perhaps Dokes..Tyson...Holyfield..Bowe...Lewis...Holyfield...we get the picture .....in those circumstances these guys were lucky...in others....well i think a tucker crowned in 1984 if he'd moved along fast enough may have held onto the belt until he fought Tyson...he was more disciplined ...may have been able to handle the likes of berbick,smith,weaver,williams, Page etc...