How good is Derek Chisora?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by HellSpawn86, Oct 29, 2020.

1. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    Derek has been around fighting at the world class level since 2011. He has had fights against a who's who at Heavy weights. He won the WBO International heavyweight title, the WBA International heavyweight title. and currently has the WBO Inter-Continental heavyweight title. He has 32 wins, 9 loses, 3 by KO.

Loses against:
    Tyson Fury
    Robert Helenius
    Vitali Klitchko
    David Haye
    Kubrat Pulev
    Dillian Whyte
    Agit Kabayel

Wins against:
    Malik Scott
    Kevin Johnson
    Carlos Takam
    Arthur Szpilka
    David Price

So what are your overall thoughts on his record, skill set and standing in the division.

2. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Lost every time he stepped up. C level.

Whyte will become the Chisora of the future if he keeps fighting.

If you have boxing skill/ability issues Chisora will expose them.

If you have some legit slickness Chisora will struggle.

eltirado, sasto, Mr Icaman and 5 others like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Big tough guy, keeps chugging along. You have to be a cut above to beat him.

eltirado, Rumsfeld, Oddone and 6 others like this.
  4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I still think he is capable of putting in some good performances and beating some good HWs in the top 15 at this point.

Ever since he went with Haye- his physique has looked awesome compared to what he looked like earlier in his career. I also know he is doing well for himself on a personal level too.

He beat Whyte in the first fight. So I would count that as a win. Many also had him beating Pulev & Helenius. The Helenius fight is know as a robbery.

So he would have fewer losses and more wins had it not been for boxing corruption.

Does he beat Usyk though? I dont think so. I do think at 36 and in his overall shape that he beats decent top 15 HWs at this point.

eltirado, pacas, Holler and 3 others like this.
  5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    A fine, tough fighter. Gatekeeper type.

6. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    :lol: You are also the one who highlighted Chisora as a good W on Fury´s resume.

But I agree with you. Chisora is decent and should have a W over Helenius, and arguably over Whyte as well.
    But that seems to be his ceiling. I have no idea how he lost a SD to Pulev, as Pulev dominated him.
    Anyone with solid fundamentals will likely beat him, or come close to it(Takam, my boy!)

But for some reason, Chisora´s losses get swiped under the rug with the excuse: "An in shape and motivated Chisora. would.."
    Well, there is no such thing.

7. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
  8. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Who the **** had Chisora beating Pulev? Besides that one judge..
    :lol: ****er won like 1 clear round that night.

9. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    The Pulev fight wasn't close, the split decision made no sense in that one.

10. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I know, Chisora should have got a UD win. :sisi1

Also in case the sarcasm isn't obvious I am joking. Open opportunity so I took it.

eltirado and ShovelHook like this.
  11. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Decent.... A tough night for many people... Suprises he didn't pick up a title... Should have at least one win over whyte... Helenius fight is a joke..

Brought some much needed excitement back into the heavyweight division in one night by being a loose cannon... I love chisora but think he spends most of Saturday hitting air... It seems harsh to say gatekeeper cos he was a little bit better than that... I'd prob still have him in the top 10 heavies... Just not elite

eltirado and HellSpawn86 like this.
  12. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Most posters I see in the Forum are too harsh in grading boxers in general. Chisora is/was a fringe contender/ top gatekeeper HW.

Losing 2X to Fury and 1X to Vitali is no shame - almost everybody has.
    The L to Helenius was controversial, but that happens in boxing all the time vs. the away fighter.
    Many think his first fight vs. Whyte s/be a draw (I do); in the second fight he was doing well until Whyte caught him late.
    Pullev has been a contender for many years and the Kabayel loss was a MD.
    The loss to Haye was uh not good. I believe if the fight wore on Chisora wins it but he was KO'd in the 5th.

As the OP wrote, he's been in w/the best. Usually loses to the top HWs, beats the rest.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    eltirado and HellSpawn86 like this.
  13. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    World level but not quite world champ level. Consider him in the same hw company with Bert Cooper Derrick Jefferson Bigfoot Martin Chris Arreola etc.

kirk, eltirado, ShovelHook and 4 others like this.
  14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Gate keeper is correct, you have to beat him to fight a contender

eltirado, ShovelHook, lobk and 2 others like this.
  15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    One of those gatekeepers that is capable to beat most fighters when they're having a bad day, with a few exceptions who always beat him.

eltirado, Philly161 and HellSpawn86 like this.