How good was Antonio Tarver

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by steve1990, Apr 28, 2021.

1. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Your opinions on Tarver?

2. lone star

lone star Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Good wins over world class competition and of course the knockout of RJJ. But losses to Hopkins and Dawson. Probably make HOF but not up there with Spinks, Moore or Foster.

3. Jon1962

Jon1962 Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2017
    A good but not great fighter. After 3 fights with Jones his career really went down hill. Right place at the right time.

4. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    He was an absolute beast as an amateur. I was really shocked when he lost to Jirov in the 96's Olympics as I thought he was going to he the next truly great lightheavyweight. He did have a very good career that falls short of greatness. His drug abuse issues definitely didn't help him be all that he could be.

Seamus likes this.
  5. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Very good and durable fighter. Got a late start in the sport and ultimately didn’t have very many fights. But he made the very best of what he had and launched a pretty solid career

fists of fury likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I have a feeling that history will peg him a bit higher than he is now.

Dubblechin likes this.
  7. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Very solid pro. Not great at anything, but pretty competent and competitive. I'd have liked to have seen him compete in the late 70's/early 80's and late 80's.
    He would have acquitted himself well, though not to the point where he'd separate himself from his peers at championship level.

8. SheenLantern

SheenLantern Active Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Not that good. People lost their minds when he knocked out Roy but that win aged like milk after Roy went 5-6 in his next 11 including multiple vicious knockouts.

9. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Really great career. If you had said at the time that Jones was avoiding a Tarver rematch (which he was) you would have got smug Lol's. Jones the GOAT. Lol Different level. Lol. etc etc

Smashing Roy Jones like that is an all-timer. Sheared the GOAT

10. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    He was arguably the best light heavyweight in the world, off and on, for many years in a very good division.

From his fight with the Olympian Chris Johnson in 2001 (where Johnson was carried from the ring and never fought again) to the Clinton Woods fight in 2008, he was probably never really worse than #2.

The loss to Hopkins is still a headscratcher, especially when it occurred, with Hopkins so down in his career and Tarver so high.

For a guy who turned pro so late (age 28), he did very well.

I miss his commentary. He was an excellent commentator, too.

The G-Man and fists of fury like this.