How good was Marvin Johnson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fast_Hands, May 7, 2018.

1. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm from Indy, saw Marvin's first 7-8 pro fights LIVE at the downtown Indy Armory.
    We had two other fighters that turned pro at approx. the same time:
    Sammy Nesmith: huge power but, if you could survive the first few rounds, he was toast, suspect jaw, sort of a Cyclone Hart or a MW Shavers but, even then, not in their league of what you might consider 'contenders'.
    Norman Goins: Here was the guy that my late bud and I thought had a shot at greatness. The ultimate result? He became 'right hand happy' and was never able to rise to contender status (he let light hitting Howard Davis cop a UD over him despite decking Davis twice?)
    You had to see this guy in his Golden Glove days!! A cat quick lighting monster!
    Back to thread: We never thought Marvin could rise to the level that he did due to his punching himself out early in those early fights. To his credit, he learned to pace himself (sorta) and seemed to develop a degree of 'chops' as he progressed. You couldn't 'phone in an effort' against a prime Marvin, he's rip you to shreds but, the top contenders, boxers or punchers (with a jaw) always had a chance with him. Galindez was a past prime wounded warrior when they met. Finally, after Parlov, it amazes me that he took the Saad fight before one or two cheap paydays?? The first Saad fight is one for the ages. A great light heavy who would have fared well in any era, shortcomings aside.

2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Great post brutha jowcol!

Russell likes this.
  3. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Great fighter. I think he would have fit in very nicely in the talent-rich light heavyweight division of recent years!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    He would be a champ today easily. Very Very good fighter. Not as durable as the tier one champs

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Good stuff

6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Marvin Johnson showed like Larry Holmes what a helluva era they fought in . Both coming back well past their prime defeating and schooling younger opponents. Holmes against Mercer and Johnson against Stewart to become 3 x LHW champ.

7. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Marvin Johnson was a very good fighter. Exciting to watch, nice uppercut, could hit. Was in a very talented era and had to go against the likes of Michael Spinks, Matthew Saad Muhammad (2 amazing fights), and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Eddie wasn’t consistent but brought his A game that night, and Marvin couldn’t handle the body shots.

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/12/10/824235/marvin-was-fairly-marvelous

https://thelivingdaylights.co/2012/07/20/maximum-overdrive-an-interview-with-marvin-johnson/

8. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Galindez may have been shot, but the left hand that ended their fight and knocked him clear across the ring and nearly made him do a backwards flip as he hit the canvas was one for the ages.

Now someone explain to me how Galindez was shot at that point? He had one loss, on cuts to Mike Rossman, in like 6 years at that point, and was coming off avenging that defeat in pretty impressive fashion. The fight with Johnson (like many of Marvin’s memorable fights) was a war, he didn’t look washed up to me.

Sounds like retroactive reasoning to me (see he got beat, must have been shot).

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Saad54 likes this.
  9. The Funny Man 7

The Funny Man 7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 1, 2005
    How great? I don't know if I can quantify it.

But in terms of his accomplishments the high notes are:
    *Two wins in the Olympics to cap a strong amateur career.
    *Three world titles
    *Several strong non-title wins against good contenders
    *Most of his losses came against excellent opponents

In terms of abilities:
    *Lust for blood
    *Endless guts
    *Dangerous left hand

His liabilities were a general lack of durability and a lack of ability to pace himself. Defense was a mixed bag: he was hit-able, but wasn't terrible given how offense-oriented his style was.

Clinton likes this.
  10. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    A much better fighter than the much lauded Adonis Stevenson is today at the same weight class.

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  12. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Bump. What a shame so many boxing channels have been nuked on Youtube in the recent past.

Clinton likes this.
  13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I asked the same question about ten years ago on here. I’ve since watched some of his fights. Very tough guy and fun to watch. Got some good wins too.

14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Victor was WBA light heavyweight champion of the world when Marvin fought him.

He had ONE loss (avenged) in his last 46 fights, lol.

Past prime? Sure. Shot? That’s nice revisionist history.

he grant likes this.
  15. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I disagree .. Galindez was thirty two , definitely long in the tooth but still a very decent fighter ... Victor's problem was he lacked the focus and discipline to make weight and it drained him .. the fight right before Johnson he took apart Rossman to regain the title he lost by being out of shape ... if you watch the fight Galindez fought game and competitive and then Johnson caught him ...Johnson was a big time puncher and no now took out Galindez like that ... keep in mind while younger Johnson had already suffered two devastating KO losses to Saad Muhammad and in his next fight was dissected by Eddie Mustafa so he wasn't so fresh himself .. he had many wars ...