How good was mike tyson?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SonnyListon>, May 15, 2024.

How good was mike tyson?(H2H)

1. Top 1

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Top 3

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Top 5

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Top 10

39 vote(s)
    69.6%
  5. Top 20

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Top 20+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SonnyListon>

SonnyListon> #1 Sonny Liston fan Full Member

May 14, 2024
    Im probably just gonna go through a list of a ton of heavyweights and gauge this forums opinions, hopefully some good discussions will be had.

Stevie G likes this.
  2. MaccaveliMacc

MaccaveliMacc Active Member Full Member

Feb 27, 2024
    Top 10-15. Great at his peak, but his resume has too many holes in it. I personally have him at 9.

3. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Top 10 but on a given night could have beaten anyone who ever lived.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Could have given any heavyweight an hard day's night.

5. nyterpfan

nyterpfan Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2021
    I'd definitely have him somewhere around 7-10--(and Tyson was awesome during his peak years!!)

6. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Tyson is looked upon today as a bully who folded when you stood up to him...if Tyson doesn't get you by the 6th round...he becomes a totally different fighter. As historian Bill Caplan said "Tyson never walked thru the fire to win...he never came from behind to win...and he never got up from the deck to win!" That about sums it up!...

7. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Of **** off already, you tiresome bore.

8. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    I haven't done this in a while, but I can find room for him in the top ten. I also use cultural impact as criterion. Boxers are athletes are entertainers and with that comes putting asses in the seats.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    Hotep Kemba and Pat M like this.
  9. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    At his very best, H2H, I'd only give a better than 50% chance to pre-exile Ali, maybe a 40% chance to Steward-trained Lewis. Wouldn't place a dollar on anyone else.

Sangria and Jakub79 like this.
  10. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Tyson's "legacy" has been affected by fights he had post-prison when he admitted he had no interest in boxing and did not want to box. He wasn't diminished physically, but mentally he did not want to box and his lifestyle, training, and performance reflected that. At his best, he was as good as it gets and capable of beating anybody.
    I value the opinion of "Boxing Historians" (Sugar, Callis, Caplan, etc.) as much as I value the opinion of Lampley, Pacheco, Cosell, etc., which means, NOT AT ALL.

Kid Bacon and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. Jakub79

Jakub79 Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2024
    Ali and Louis simply have to be higher, as a matter of principle. Or anyone else, I don't know. I have it top 3-5. I think I can give Foreman higher, maybe Holmes, and I have no problem if someone gives Liston higher.

Sangria likes this.
  12. SonnyListon>

SonnyListon> #1 Sonny Liston fan Full Member

May 14, 2024
    Real... no boxer in history would've been glad to face him in the ring.

Fergy likes this.
  13. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    As a boxer he was very, very, verry... good when he was on. He had vulnerabilities like all fighters. As a cultural phenomenon he's up there with Dempsey and Ali.

14. Dorrian_Grey

Dorrian_Grey It came to me in a dream Full Member

Apr 20, 2024
    I think I never got out of the transitory phase between being a casual and being a hardcore where you go from thinking Mike was the greatest to have ever laced up to thinking he's the worst, so I still struggle to accurately evaluate Tyson's standing among the HWs and still fail to see what was so impressive about what he did in the '80s, which was, imo, one of the worst divisions the HWs have ever had which was populated by badly faded "names" and a few LHWs here and there. I dunno, Im open to seeing how he could possibly scratch by into a top 10 but I see him as being a considerable distance away from a spot on mine.

Saintpat and The Cryptkeeper like this.
  15. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    Because people think he could do what he did to Berbick and Spinks to any fighter that ever lived. That being said I can still find room for him in my top ten

Dorrian_Grey likes this.