How good was "Old Louis"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Louis's attitude up to the first Charles fight was basically "bring me the best man available and I will kill him for you!"

After the Charles fight, he starts picking his opponents carefully.

That tells you a lot!

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Cesar Brion was a good young fighter. Watch him against Charles, then watch him against Louis. It reminds me of Larry Holmes doing as well against Mercer as Lennox Lewis did. And like Holmes, Louis was no longer as good as he was in his youth..but still good enough to convincingly beat a good contender.

Cesar Brion was a good fighter. He held his own with everyone. Rex Layne, Lastarza, Louis and Charles giving them all tough fights that were tough and quite hard to score. And these were good fighters.

This content is protected

Also, there is film of the version of Jimmy Bivins that Joe Louis fought that proves Louis still beat a good fighter when he took Bivins on points. Here us against Charley Doc Williams after meeting Louis. Bivins was always a good fighter, he even beat Mike Dejohn much later than when he fought Joe Louis too.

Nighttrain, KuRuPT and louis54 like this.
  3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Old Louis had significantly declined from his pre-war days, but he was still good enough to school Sam Peter, over the distance.

4. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    He was better than the Old Ali who lost to Spinks, Holmes and Berbick but possibly as good or better than the Holmes that lost to Tyson, He was rusty like the Dempsey who lost to Tunney but it boils down to wars- Ali had them, Louis had them - Holmes and Dempsey had less - older heavyweight punchers who rely on punching power should gain some muscle weight like Foreman and maintain energy like Foreman did from the Archie Moore school of aged combat

5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    As long as he doesnt get caught with too many bombs. Peter was garbage but he was brave and threw non stop power punches.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    How many of them did Brion beat? He was briefly ranked in 51, that was his moment in the sun I believe.

7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't think so. Peter was a solid boxer. Good enough to beat James Toney. Old Louis lack of power means he's trouble.

8. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Peter was a courageous competitor, but his power is overrated. He only ever stopped one ranked opponent (on his feet) and that was Maskaev who, in 7 defeats, never lost by decision. Peter never stopped anyone in the championship rounds, either.

I wouldn't advise that Louis get in the way of too many of Peter's shots, mind. However, I'd expect Louis to be able to avoid most if not all of Peter's telegraphed punches.

KuRuPT and mcvey like this.
  9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Sounds right to me.

10. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Maybe as late as 1948, but I think Sam Peter would beat him in 1950-51.

11. Man_Machine

Jun 9, 2010
    Why?
    Peter won a few rounds against Wlad; Decisioned a fat, old middleweight in Toney and stopped the 5-times previously stopped Maskaev. What else did he do to show he'd have beaten even an old Louis?

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Toney, and Maskaev were probably better than anyone Old Joe Louis beat. McCline wasn't an yes out, Peter beat him too.

Peter actually had a good jab. Louis was easy to hit in his older years, and if he was stunned by the likes of Conn and Farr in his prime, he's in trouble if Peter lands something solid.

13. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Saying Peter beat Toney is a stretch as well tbh the first fight was regarded as a poor decision

If 5'10 Toney can be competitive at HW when way past his best surely Louis can when he's declined but on good form.