How good was Rickson Gracie

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Your point was poor. Holmes can say what he wants because he's been there and done it. Rickson hasn't.

Rickson has a career based on word of mouth and training stories.

Would he have been able to stay sharp enough catch Severn after 15 minutes of combat? Would he have had the resolve to continue after the injury against Kimo? Would he have been able to tap Shamrock inside of a minute? Would he have been able you out fight Kazushi over 45 minutes?

Rickson might have the better training stories and might be the apple of his dad's eyes but those who consider him superior to Royce always make me wonder if they keep something I don't.

2. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Could have been capable of beating Severn? Sure, why not? The less skilled and physically talented brother was able to. Could he have kept himself together long enough to get past the Kimo match? Possibly, he did stop a better, more experienced opponent in Funaki after blowing out a knee and having a shattering orbital at 40 yrs old. If he managed to move on in that tourny, he'd of done what Royce couldn't. Could he have been capable of catching an unsuspecting guy in a gi choke who thought it wasn't allowed...

This getting pretty tedious..Let's just have it out, you think Rickson is an overrated, worthless sack of crap. I think that he was technically and athletically superior to Royce and thus capable of matching or surpassing his results. Let's just agree to disagree.

3. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I've never described him as that at all.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    What I would prefer is you justifying your stance.

There is footage we can show of Royce beating world class MMA fighters and the whole "I think Rickson is better so he could have done the same" doesn't really wash.

What's the best footage of Rickson? What are his verifiable victories? What tournaments has he verifiably won and who were the opponents, how good were they?

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  5. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    He didn't fight Sakuraba for a reason

Oneirokritis and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  6. St00

St00 New Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Not very good tbh

Rickson was never an MMA fighter. He was a BJJ guy in No Holds Barred. He is notable for the guys he didnt fight tbh

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Completely agree. How much scope is there in the thought that he could have best the guys of yesteryear

8. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    I dont doubt he is a BJJ legend...but he didnt fight Sakuraba, Bas, Frank, Ken, Dan Severn...ect

****ing Renzo is a G, best resume of a Gracie ever!

rekcutnevets likes this.
  9. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    ****...add Kerr, Coleman, Maurice, Randy, Belfort, Frye to the list

Renzo is a ****ing G lads...

rekcutnevets likes this.
  10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    You think Renzo had a better resume than Royce?

11. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    Matt Hughes, Carlos Newton, Oleg Taktarov, BJ Penn, Frank Shamrock, Hendo, Sakuraba...you tell me...did he?

I think he did, win or lose, Renzo fought tough mofos

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    A resume doesn't include fights you lost.
    Renzo fought the best but he didn't beat the best.

I think he's number 2 after Royce though.

Royce > Renzo > Rickson

13. St00

Aug 24, 2018
    I'll disagree there ;)

Point is, Rickson fought NO ONE!

14. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Royce legitimized BJJ on a larger stage, and gave BJJ an international explosion.

Renzo fought the better fighters, but you can argue Royce had the better record.

Rickson is better at BJJ than both. Renzo has been quoted as saying that he feels like a blue belt when he grapples Rickson. Rickson may never go down as the greatest fighter of all time, but he is The BJJ Legend. No other practitioner has the training stories to pair with the video footage. In real life, Rickson is the closest thing we have to the myth of Bruce Lee.

15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I don't think anybody disputes Rickson's mastery of BJJ. It's fairly clear from the available footage that Rickson was very comfortable while grappling and if proven guys like the other Gracies support that assessment of his BJJ skills, then I'll buy it. We are, however, entitled to raise doubts regarding his lethality in full contact MMA, given his lack of resume in this field.