How great was Stanley Ketchel?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Melankomas, Jan 15, 2023.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    What struck me about the Johnson v Ketchel fight is Jack appears to have quicker hands!

Blofeld, Pugguy and Mike Cannon like this.
  2. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Of what we can see ,which rounds do you give to Ketchel? I don't think Ketchel was play acting ,I think he was going for it every second he was conscious.Johnson was carrying him to put on a show for the public and make the film rights viable.
    Johnson and his coterie had bet on a Johnson victory inside 14 rds.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Mark Dunham and Blofeld like this.
  3. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    He looks absolutely terrible, all over the place. People have a hard time on this forum of accepting reality and get very caught up in nostalgia, this guy could be a prime example, I haven’t read through the thread, I’d pick Inoue to knock this guy out nevermind the middleweights

Mark Dunham, Blofeld and Mike Cannon like this.
  4. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Good info, I don't know if I give Ketchel any really, they both look pretty ropey but Jack is always in control dictating the fight, until round 12 and then he finishes it of course.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The old greatness vs H2H story again. Let's just say that his greatness was greater than how he looks on film.

Bokaj, Blofeld, Bukkake and 1 other person like this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    That was a pretty stacked middleweight era to on paper.

In addition to Ketchell himself, you have Thomas, Sullivan, Papke, Kelly, Klaus.

Up to WWII there were people who argued that Papke would have reigned supreme in any other era.

It is true that Ketchell doesn't pass the eye test, but he dominated O' Brien who looks much better on film.

I suspect that the available footage doesn't tell us everything.

mcvey and Greg Price99 like this.
  7. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    To be fair, you should point out that Langford outweighed Ketchel by 19 pounds.

8. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    It has always been curious to me...In this era a guy is lauded for throwing a ton of punches, Ketchel is considered crude for doing so. I am not going to comment on whether or not he was "great" buit there is often a difference between being visually pretty (the "eye test") and being effective.
    Having lived In Butte, Montana, for many years, the history of Stanley Ketchel is real to me. He had 41 fights in Montana, and began his career in Butte when he was 15; at that age he was working as a bouncer in a brothel/saloon in the Butte redlight district. At the time, those few blocks were considered on par with the San Francisco waterfront and New Orleans as the roughest places in the US. Ultimately, Ketchel was run out of Butte for vagrancy- he was a community problem- and he resented it and never acknowledged his Montana connection again.
    At some point I will learn how to post pictures on here and I will post pictures of where Ketchel used to run about.

Years ago I had the privilege of meeting a man, a local historian, that knew a ton about Ketchel. He had interviews with people that knew him and had seen him fight, going back decades. He drove a cab late at night and I would pay him to drive me around town and talk to me about Ketchel. When it is all said and done, Stanley Ketchel was a hard man among hard men that grew up in hard times. He embraced violence, was not afraid of getting hurt, not afraid of losing, but would fight his heart out until the end.
    He was a fighter, through and through.

Journeyman92, mcvey and surfinghb like this.
  9. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    He would be a UFC/MMA guy today, not a boxer. Certainly a tough customer who proved the saying " live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse". But even for his day he was crude and won fights solely due to a bad attitude and a ferocious will to win. The modern guy I'd compare him to would be Marlboro smoking, trash talking Mayorga.

Shouldn't be on anyone's top 20 MW list, IMO.

10. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    the Johnson knockout was simply exquisite

It goes to prove how quickly the better fighters could dispatch Ketchel whenever they wanted. When the fight got serious, it was instant lights out

I can still see Johnson picking the teeth out of his glove

Michael Nunn would have had a field day with Stan and pazienza on a good day, would beat him

11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Great in his time and day. What more can you ask of him?

Greg Price99 likes this.
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I will also point out that Sam fought under wraps as Ketchel would not consent to a title fight,and Langford wanted to entice him to accept one by not going full out.

Greg Price99 and greynotsoold like this.