How great was Willard's KO over Jack Johnson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Oakland Billy Smith, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I didn't know people still believed in the "but he was shading his eyes" story?

How quaint.

2. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I think it was legit, but also, being "only" 3 years younger is pretty meaningless as evidence of closeness in condition; when one was functionally probably around 10 years older consider factors like wear and tear and stress of all types on his body.

Tonto62 likes this.
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    You think Johnson quit? Seventy eight minutes in that humidity. at thirty seven. fighting a giant.You're very harsh imo The right hand that dropped him was a terrific punch and Johnson had fought his heart out before becoming exhausted.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  4. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Yes because you are going to fight for nearly 80 minutes before going in the tank aren't you.

5. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    It never crossed his mind that Willard could absorb his punches for so long.Johnson had gone back considerably, he had not been living the life of a professional athlete,once he signed for a 45rds fight he was effectively committing himself to koing Willard because there was no way he could go that distance in the shape he was in.

6. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    In terms of stamina,and condition Willard was a decade younger than Johnson who had lived the high life since 1910.

7. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Three years in age but ten years in conditioning.

8. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    The morning after the fight Johnson met with the promoter Jack Curley and collected his money,Curley asked him how he felt, "pretty blue," he replied,"I never thought anyone could stay with me if I really went after them,he beat me fair and square ,I have no kick coming".
    Willard knocked out Johnson's gold teeth with a left hook and Jack swallowed them rather than let the crowd see it.
    He was legitimately beaten, Sam McVey, his chief second said when he helped him up Johnson did not know quite where he was.

9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008

Of course he wanted the money. Johnson was pressured into the terms because he was flat broke and had exhausted his options. It was a dilemma partially of his own making for not curbing his exhaustive spending as his financial earning potent dwindled. An exile own the run , he was no longer a draw as anything but a defending champion against a marketable opponent. He need the best terms he could get and he needed them fast. As far as being an overwhelming favorite, I dispute that. Willard was a very live under dog for all the obvious reasons. Johnson took the money and looked past the terms. While his skills had obviously dissipated based on his age, his inactivity and his lifestyle his ego remained and it cost him.

10. Frankus

Frankus Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Imagine how many elite fighters today would be willing to step into the ring for 15+ rounds, almost none.

11. Frankus

Frankus Active Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Nice bit of inside history there. In saying that I think most agree that JJ, although still a great fighter, was in decline from his prime at the time of this fight, even though he fought on for a number of years after.

Curious from some of the more knowledgeable posters on here why there was never a rematch?

12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Well, for one, Willard drew the Color Line.

13. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    The white public wouldn't take another chance on a black man winning the title.
    Not for another 22 years.

14. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    It was a great win, a great punch, and for going that many rounds in the torrid, hot Cuban sun...Willard deserves more credit than what he gets.

15. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Yes he does he had to weather some big stuff early on,but he took it and kept coming until he wore Johnson down.

red cobra likes this.