How hard did Dempsey hit?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eastpaw, May 21, 2015.

1. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Good!!

Just make sure you work hard at it so that people like us keep getting our pensions, because the way things are going you will have to work a fuking long time to get yours. By 2025 they will have put the retiring age up to 78, and I don't give a fuk, about all the ******s who will have to put the extra time in.:rofl:rofl

2. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dempsey was a heavy handed guy, there was no one like him around until him, a superstar unfortunately like his predecessors he was not as active as he should have been in his prime years but there was no one as explosive as him until Brown Bomber and there was no one before him as explosive

Dempsey skipped Wills but there have been articles posted that he did indeed try to fight Wills and some say he should have fought Greb but while JD was inactive for 3 years he came back to beat the man that Beat Wills (Sharkey) and the man that beat Greb - Tunney

A lot of people on this board constantly ride JD but a lot of them give Holmes a wide berth for never unifying his title, for giving up a title not to fight Page and for not fighting Tate,Coetzee,Dokes,Weaver,Thomas,Page while they were co-champs and Holmes never rematched -Norton,Weaver,Witherspoon,Weaver

we all have favorite fighter or like a style ( I love Dempsey s style) but what is good for the goose is good for the gander- apples for apples I rate Dempsey higher than Holmes for fighting the best of his era and Dempsey is not without flaws

3. Germanicus

Germanicus Active Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Legitimate 1 punch KO power in his left hand which could be thrown with KO power short or long. Knockout power in his right hand which he threw straight. Fast on his feet, fast with his hands.

You see the old fight photos of Dempsey in action, he always has that snarl on his face. He fought with a killer instinct in the ring which was among the most ferocious in heavyweight record.

One tough SOB, who let a good portion of his career go by the wayside making bad movies, and banging Hollywood actresses. You read his life story he had a damn good life in the end. The Manassa Mauler will always be legend.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I had a few snorts yesterday Burt,I sure felt old when I got up to watch the Povetkin fight.:lol:

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't care what you do for a living.
    I'll tell you what I do every day, any f*cking thing I like!
    ps I live off my investments, I don't even touch my 3 pensions, the kids that you say hate me will get that when I'm gone.

You seem interested in my finances?
    Do you need a handout?:lol:

6. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Similarly, I have properties in the UK, that give me a good rental income, but the basta rds still tax me, calling it unearned income. Funny that due to the fact I had to earn the money to pay for the houses, AND pay my taxes.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I exploit the poor and live off an unearned income too.
    It works for me. :good

8. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    :lol::lol::lol:

Nice. I had my laugh for the day thanks to you :good

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yet you have Wlad up there?:think

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I've had more fights in and out of the ring than you've had birthdays Sunny Jim.Keep dreaming.

11. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Drug dealer?

Just kidding.;)

12. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I've never knocked Dempsey as a human being. I've criticised his ability, the fact he's unproven, his primitive technique and the fact his manager stage managed his career. Emotion seems to be more of a factor in his fans like yourself.

As an apologist you constantly concoct lies about Dempsey. Why don't you remind us how 'Miske and Brennan were as good as Tunney', one more time?

No, his power isn't great for a HW, a great HW puncher like Lennox Lewis or Bowe knocks out Willard and Firpo with 1 punch. His power is it good for a modern light heavyweight. His era was semi pro full of small and unskilled big farmboys. The only decent big man of his era he avoided. The skilled men of his era he avoided or got beaten. plenty of amateurs would.

As for opponents surviving, what did Gibbons, Prime Miske and Tunney do?

I'm not sure if my video of a 51yo Benn posted or not, it doesn't have seem to.

My criticisms are the truth and the truth is important me, hence I will state Tunney is significantly better than Miske and Brennan you fraudster.

13. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Dempsey fighting bodybuilders instead of boxers seemed to be par for the course to be fair

14. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't have 18 inch arms, but I do I know plenty of none champion boxers who'd spank Dempsey because boxing moved after the 20s and if you box and watch fighters in that era you can see their mistakes as clear as day.

15. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    My main point would be, Dempsey was a decent powerpuncher for a 185lber and relentless, which is more important. But if you want to compare his power to bigger modern HW punchers it's like taking a knife to a gunfight.