How hard did Jeffries hit?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Jeffries is perhaps the only champion to floor each man he fought, save the comeback attempt six years later. A producer of many ten counts, many of his opponents fell face first. He hit so hard; they made him a special 300-pound heavy bag filled with sand made for him.

Owner of a very good 72.7 KO%, Jeffries rates right up there with the best punchers in history in terms of his KO%. As with all KO percentages, there is data behind the numbers. In his case, Jeffries faced top competition early on and throughout his career. He also finished his opponents in most cases faster than the field did.

Unfortunately, we can't see his best KO's on film, but the press tells us he was quite a puncher. Tex Rickard, famous boxing promoter, for example, said he hit harder than Dempsey, and we can all see how hard Dempsey hit. On a PSI punching machine, he registered harder than Fitzsimmons.

So we have a comparison from a key eyewitness an a machine in a timeline. What's your opinion?

2. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think he was powerfull, but probably not the most clinical finisher (certainly not near Fitz). Worth noting he had injures interfering with his punching in a lot of fights too.

Seems to have been more a batering ram that broke people, than a concusive type puncher.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Some of his KO were quick ones. Jeffries wasn't a swing for the fences type in general, but in some fights he did. The press reports plenty of knockdowns I think he had heavy hand like Foreman or Liston did, maybe a notch blow then in power. Hard to tell.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I agree, based on the descriptions of Jefferies and his unusual combination of brutish strength and power+a good chin, he was like a swarmer version of a foreman/liston type fighter. Good body puncher and a killer left uppercut.

I dont remember reading anything about him having much of an amateur career (if at all). Was he just that talented that he could get by on ruggedness and courage?

reznick likes this.
  5. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    He was a tremendous hitter. He stated he never hit anyone with all his strength. With the equipment of the day I am sure no one wanted to be hit by him.

louis54 likes this.
  6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Such a load of bull****.

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Do you actually believe the underlined?
    Do you believe that when he was behind against Corbett,and warned by his manager he had to ko him or lose his title, he wasn't trying to hit him as hard as he possibly could?
    When his face was cut to ribbons by Fitzsimmons he was holding back his power?
    In two fights with Sharkey, which went a total of 45 rounds ,he wasn't throwing his best punches?
    Jeffries stated he was given drugged tea before his fight with Johnson,perhaps you believe that too?

roughdiamond likes this.
  8. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Jeffries nearly always had significant weight advantages and ,in his most famous fights age ones too.He was also hitting with tiny gloves and did not wear handwraps.
    No doubt he was a good puncher,but,imo not in the top flight of hitters.
    Among which I would include.
    Fitzsimmons whose respective results over common opponents are more impressive Jeffries.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  9. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Jeffries quick ko's
    Van Buskirk 5-1-1 career stats=7-4-1.
    Long 0-0-0 career stats=1-4-0.
    Lorraine 0-1-0 career stats =0-2-0.
    Goddard 40 years old.
    Jackson 37 years old, had not fought in over 5 years was consumptive and alcoholic.
    Everett the crowd estimated Jeffries was 50lbs the heavier man.
    Finnegan 4-2-4 estimated 50lbs lighter than Jeffries.
    Kennedy Jeffries sometime sparring partner.
    Munroe built up hype job,7-0-2.

10. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Wouldn't not wearing wraps subtract from his power?

I wonder if he done it, to allow for more grappling.

11. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Good and powerful puncher who probably didn't have delivery of elite ones. He also focused on the body much more than most brawlers, which is probably why many of his KOs weren't quick.

He still displayed evidences of his power in some fights. I think that it was his strength and durability that was more impresisve than punching power.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  12. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    As he would in any era until 1970s. Doesn't make his accomplishments irrelevant.

Jason Thomas likes this.
  13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I knew it! :eek: He wuz robbed!

14. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    No it doesnt but the weight disparity should be factored in when assessing power or don't you think so?
    He had injured his hands against Amstrong and swore off wraps after wards.

15. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Have I suggested it does?
    You don't think having the following weight advantages over opponents should be factored in when assessing Jeffries power?
    Corbett1. 30lbs
    Corbett 2. 27lbs
    Fitz 1. 39lbs
    Fitz 2.47lbs
    Sharkey1.23lbs
    Sharkey 2.27lbs
    Armstrong ,23lbs
    Choynski .52lbs
    There is also the matter of the age and activity of his opponents prior to these fights.
    For example.
    Fitz was conceding 12 years to him.
    Corbett. 8 years
    Goddard. 17 years
    Jackson.17years
    Choynski. 7 years

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Rspen46 and Dubblechin like this.