How hard did Max Baer hit

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by superman1986, Aug 15, 2017.

1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    To be clear, I agree with the basic premise you put forth in this post and others on that specific argument. That said, you must know this to be true, some people simply hit harder than most. Same dimensions, same everything, and some people just do. Dempsey to me is one of those guys. Somehow, short chopping blows, with little to no leverage KO'd guys as if they got shot. You can give another lightweight Rosarios same dimensions, and there have been some, but not many "seem" to hit as hard for a variety of reasons. So while I agree with your overall point, there are clear exceptions, but I'm not sure whether Max is or isn't.

louis54, It's Ovah and mrkoolkevin like this.
  2. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    My take too. Good post.

3. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    You talking about Baer or Huck?

Wait, why am I even asking that question?

4. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Yeah, I can go with that. Baer to me though seems to be a guy who generates power mainly from momentum from his wild swings. Similar to Foreman in that regard, though more reckless and with a bit less steam. That's why I wanted to know what posters felt put him above other similar punchers, what hidden factors or techniques he might be employing to get a bit more oomph out of his shots.

So far all I've got is "neuromuscular factors" which seems a bit vague.

5. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    This. Shoulder snap.

He was.

https://streamable.com/vyp4l
    Look how he was just able to bully other boxers by getting in their space squared up. His light jabs are bouncing this guys head back and forth.

Baers weakness was that he was drunk with his power. He toyed around with it, flaunted it, and played with his bait. Didn't have the killer instinct, most likely due to killing one of his opponents.

6. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Did Baer demonstrate this shoulder snap? Why did he feel the need to throw such wild haymakers if he did?

Bouncing someone's head back isn't particularly hard if they're around the same size as you or smaller. If he knocked the guy senseless with those same shots it'd be a different story.

7. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    He did.
    Why did Foreman throw wild swings? Does that mean he didn't have shoulder snap?
    One doesn't beget the other.

Of course it is. You need to impose yourself so forcefully that they can't counter, defend, or move away.
    Putting some abstract qualifier that it had to be a KO to be impressive isn't right.
    If that's the case, every Joshua jab that isn't a KO isn't impressive?

8. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    From what I understand they're two fundamentally different ways of generating power. One quick and compact, the other slower and more devastating. The fighter who employs a shoulder snap does so in a split second, which allows him to string together multiple fast, powerful shots in a short time without losing steam. Louis is a good example. The Foreman type puncher uses a massive build up of momentum to crash his fist into the target with brute force.

The second type probably generates more raw power but at the expense of speed and the ability to chain together a quick array of punches. Fighters are also more likely to see it coming and therefore be able to brace themselves more effectively against the shot, but if you possess sufficient size and weight over your opponent you don't need to be that accurate.

I suppose it's possible for a fighter to utilise both methods simultaneously in equal degrees, though it seems to be the case that a fighter inherently chooses one over the other when actually engaged in combat. It's not a case of one being better than the other; mostly it seems to depend on your proclivities, body type, coordination, explosiveness and so on.

Those weren't jabs, they were right hands, and if Joshua was throwing similar pitter pat shots I wouldn't expect him to get a KO either. I just don't think that clip is illustrative of massive power.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  9. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    First is Huck. Second is Baer.

10. pvignare

pvignare New Member Full Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Max Baer's punch is up there with foreman's, shavers, and marciano's of the world. It's one of the hardest ever seen in the heavyweight division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  11. superman1986

superman1986 Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 4, 2017
    That means if you were born when Max Baer became champion you would be 85 today. If you were still alive.

12. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Where did I say I watched Baer live? Baer is known today as he was a top hwt contender for many years highly regarding that became worlds hwt champion. Hucks name will not be mentioned ten years from now.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Briggs probably hit harder.

14. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Mr.DagoWop and mrkoolkevin like this.
  15. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    This is brutal. Huck always has a punchers chance (I guess) but Usyk has WAY too much skill and athleticism so far.

reznick likes this.