How I Scored All Of Muhammad Ali's Controversial Decisions

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dynamicpuncher, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Muhammad Ali vs Doug Jones

1 Jones
    2 Ali
    3 Ali
    4 Ali
    5 Jones
    6 Jones
    7 Ali
    8 Jones
    9 Ali
    10 Ali

96-94 Ali

Muhammad Ali vs Jimmy Young

1 Young
    2 Young
    3 Young
    4 Ali
    5 Ali
    6 Ali
    7 Ali
    8 Young
    9 Young
    10 Young
    11 Young
    12 Ali 10-8 round
    13 Ali
    14 Young
    15 Ali

142-142 Draw

Muhammad Ali vs Earnie Shavers

1 Ali
    2 Shavers
    3 Ali
    4 Shavers
    5 Ali
    6 Shavers
    7 Shavers
    8 Shavers
    9 Ali
    10 Ali
    11 Ali
    12 Ali
    13 Shavers
    14 Shavers
    15 Ali

143-142 Ali

Ken Norton vs Muhammad Ali 2

1 Ali
    2 Ali
    3 Ali
    4 Ali
    5 Norton
    6 Ali
    7 Norton
    8 Norton
    9 Ali
    10 Norton
    11 Norton
    12 Ali

115-113 Ali

Ken Norton vs Muhammad Ali 3

1 Ali
    2 Norton
    3 Norton
    4 Norton
    5 Norton
    6 Norton
    7 Ali
    8 Norton
    9 Ali
    10 Ali
    11 Ali
    12 Norton
    13 Norton
    14 Ali
    15 Ali

143-142 Norton

apollack, Unique Way, Bokaj and 7 others like this.
  2. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
  3. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    In what way ? Break down the rounds you disagree with.

The only round I thought I was unfair to Young was the 13th round, and that's because he stuck his head outside of the ring twice to avoid getting hit. Technically I thought Young could've won the round but i was appalled by his "tactics" if you can call it that so I gave the round to Ali on merit of actually trying to make the fight.

I had it 8-7 in rounds for Young but Ali had a 2 point round, in the end no one really deserved to win it was an awful fight a glorified sparring session.

Smoochie, rinsj, Bokaj and 4 others like this.
  4. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Those were the days in the mid 1970's when Ali would lie on the ropes...do nothing...have his opponent pound on him for 3 minutes...then after he "won" the fight...you'd find that all 3 judges gave him that round...he "won" lots of those...not because of what he did in the ring...but because of who he was! After the 3rd Norton fight at Yankee Stadium in 1976...one of the NY papers said, "If Ali won that fight last night...then the Japanese won WWII"...Total garbage. Hell...if it wasn't for his opponents...there wouldn't have been any action! He lays on the ropes...they do most of the work...and he "wins"...

5. Tockah

Tockah Ingo's Bingo Full Member

Mar 12, 2022
    what about it? im curious your take

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  6. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Nothing wrong with this at all.
    Something to think about though, Ali probably loses quite a few of these same fights if he fought them in the mid 60's as opposed to mid 70's.
    It amazing to think how hated he was to how loved he'd become in a little over 10 years.
    That in itself was an incredible journey.

CharlieFirpo85, KidGalahad and Bokaj like this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    In the mid 60's the fights would not have been so close.

rinsj, Fogger, Frankus and 4 others like this.
  8. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Of course not with the 60's version of Ali.
    But my scenario was the 70's fights and version of Ali being held in the 60's.
    With how hated he was during those years.

Bokaj, swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    True enough.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 A L O H A Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Don’t try it, sheath your sword this is no foe but an idea you challenge, a religious one almost - One so powerful people deny with there own eyes and see what they want.

11. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    About a fifth ot the cards (8 of 41) by my count has Ali vs Young a draw on Eye of the Ring, so it's a fairly common card. Quite probably the most common one.

I think I had Young by a point but it was a long time ago since I scored it. I would probably call Ali-Norton 3 a draw (could never make up my mind about the last round, which is deciding for me as it was for the three judges).

I know that it's not a even slightly controversial result, but I had Ali-Norton 1 a draw when I scored it ages and ages ago. Both Futch and Norton have said it could have been one, I think.

ThatOne and JohnThomas1 like this.
  12. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
    It sounds like you were going to give Jimmy that round and didn't because of reasons mentioned above- so you've effectively made a 10-9 round to him 9-10 (that's a 2 point swing!) That's all a bit Mickey Vann deducting Whitaker a point vs Chavez (when the referee didn't) if you ask me- actually it's even worse! People may criticise the ref...but they obviously didn't see his card, so the idea that he wasn't doing Ali favours isn't based on fact. Maybe he could/should have deducted more points and the judges cards could've been even worse!

Having Ali ahead after 7 is a classic example of the habit of scoring any rounds where Ali actually punches back...talk about Ali performing a Jedi mind trick (a full year before Star Wars too). A man gets on his toes, throws a few jabs, hardly any land and the ones that do, having nothing on them, hence the old 'sting like a moth' jokes that emerged around this time. He's offered virtually nothing until round 6.

I know you scored round 1 to Jimmy, obviously, but what makes me laugh is that two of the judges scored this even in a round where Ali actually did less than in Round 1 vs Holmes. :lol: That's how impossible it was to get a decision against him at that time. Strange how the power-that-be thought it be best in the public interest to keep him as champ.

Even the judges, two of whom are widely known to have given a couple of the worst cards in history, thought Jimmy finished stronger in the final 3rd rounds, yet you've given Ali a 2-1 lead there... Now that is a 'late rally by the judges' if there ever was one. Again, 'Ali on his toes' seems to impress people...why? The Punches have no zip- and were barely landing anyway.

White Bomber likes this.
  13. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
    It get lots of 'likes' I suppose.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  14. My dinner with Conteh

Dec 18, 2004
    Imagine if the world wasn't flooded with Jimmy Young fanboys, then the controversy rating on Eye of the Ring would be 0%.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    What a world that would be. One can only dream.