How long?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by boxing4life, Jul 19, 2007.

1. boxing4life

boxing4life Now or Never Full Member

Nov 26, 2006
    how long was it before you guys got your first amateur fight? and how were you? I heard that after your 17 years old you can be matched with people up to 35! i am not liking that at all!

2. allenko1

allenko1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2005
    its cool, u really dont gotta worry about that because if your coach is good matchmaker, when and if you do fight a 34 yr old, youll whoop him. that goes for any age, and i was in the gym a few months before my 1st fight. how long have u been training?

3. Krippy

Krippy Thread Killer Full Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I think** there are like 3 classes of fighters. Those with 0 fights, those with 1-9 fights, and those with 10 or more fights.

4. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    There is Novice: less than 10 bouts and there is Open: 10 or more bouts.

5. Krippy

Krippy Thread Killer Full Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Great, thanks for clearing that up. :happy

6. Bazooka

Bazooka Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me Full Member

Oct 23, 2005
    I understand your concern, but this is what I tell my fighter anybody you fight that is over 25 or so in the amatures you have a better chance of winning those fights, there is a reason they are starting late in this sport and probably have had some past experience getting high drinking and smoking probably didnt take care of themselves as much as they should have if you have a man in his late 20s or 30s when that bell rings press the gas a bit he will fold sooner or later its rare that someone in their late 20s and early 30s have success in this sport, what they do say is the truth, its a young mans game and it is.
    So dont worry about the age factor worry about what you need to do.

7. boxing4life

boxing4life Now or Never Full Member

Nov 26, 2006
    thanks man that really made it less nurve wreking and easier:happy

8. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    an arguement can be made for exactly the opposite.

9. JMonster

JMonster Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2005
    being in the amateurs though n at that age would be rough

10. BRICKS

BRICKS the Pride of the Tribe Full Member

Nov 8, 2005
    :yep

if you find yourself in an even fight, you failed to prepare.

11. Bazooka

Bazooka Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me Full Member

Oct 23, 2005
    This is true but that is highley rare, the only thing that makes a difference when you have a young kid vs a older man is that the older man is a man and the kid is a kid, But its up to the kid to clear that from his mind and stick to what he has worked on.
    Usally when they announce his age the kid gets a bit jittery, that is what usally eats him up and causes him to fail to perform at his very best, if he looks at it like any other fight he will be fine but if he lets that age factor get in his head, he will fold.
    but its rare that an older person in their late twentys early thirtys to have much success in this sport usally the age is what it is, a ton of milage on that body, smoking drinking getting high etc... not eating right the whole bit.
    I always tell any fighter I am working with if they are in there with a 28 year old get on his ass early make it a high paced fight and go to that body.

12. BRICKS

BRICKS the Pride of the Tribe Full Member

Nov 8, 2005
    good advice bazooka but what about the power factor? a kid aint got the same pop a grown man has. there are many scenarios in which the older fighter actually has the upper hand. possibly more experience in actual fight situations, although not as durable, they usually know what they are capable of and understand they have to slow the kid down to catch him.

personally id feel weird fighting someone under my age (22). id feel an advantage even though one might not be there. and yes the older guys i would work the body early and look to make them move more then they would like.