How many more stoppages would Usyk have if bouts were still 15 rounds?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    We all know Usyk is an old-school, old-fashion 15 round competitor. So let's look at some of his bouts:

Joshua was on the way out, by the end of the 12th round. So that one is almost a foregone conclusion that he gets stopped.

Dereck Chisora was also looking like he had emptied the tank and had nothing left by the end of the 12th round. He was there for the taking by Usyk.

Usyk does not stop Breidis or Gassiev, regardless of how many rounds.

Michael Hunter should have been stopped anyway in the 12th round, if that referee was at all competent. But if there were extra 3 rounds, Hunter would have most likely been knocked out on his feet, to the point of having his guard down and being defenseless.

Who else do you think Usyk stops?

2. VOXDEI

VOXDEI DUNCE Full Member

May 17, 2021
    I think you've listed them all/ answered your own question there mate.

A more interesting question might be how many people are in favour of a rerurn to 15 rounds?

Personally I might be, it would result in a higher skill level as a result of a reduction in the number of "Wilder's" who rely on a one punch KO. KOs would be more a result of the slog.

Sap1en and dmt like this.
  3. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    12 rounds heavily favour super heavyweights. These same big men would struggle in 15 round fights due to exhaustion in rounds 13, 14 and 15.

I am all for 15 rounders coming back. Especially for heavies. It will make the game more exciting and give smaller heavies a chance to break these giants down.

I don't think it will affect Wilder. He is the type of guy who can land a punch anytime to end a fight.

4. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
  5. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    None.

Usyk purposely fights not so show all of his cards. I have made a couple of threads myself showing that he can throw anywhere between 450 and 950 punches a fight. He turns it up only to the level he thinks is needed. If he ever has to go to eleven, he can.

6. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Bang on the money mate.
    I don't think we ever truly seen the best Usyk, he's always fought a level above every opponent he ever faced.
    Throughout his career as a professional we've not seen him use his headmovement that much, we all know he has incredible head movement as seen in the WSB however he's never truly replicated that style in the pros until the AJ fight. I believe he still has many cards that he has yet to show, Fury might be the man that will force Usyk to use every ounce of his talent.

7. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I think he would have stopped Glowacki as well

8. red corner

Oct 9, 2021
    But would his opponents tire?

9. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    They'd get hit more. That is one thing.

The scary part is that he did not even throw a lot against Joshua. He just didn't think of Antony as being the guy to push him all the way.

10. red corner

Oct 9, 2021
    Yes, and that was by deign. But 3 more round Joshua who was hangin on the ropes would be finished.

11. catchwtboxing

Jul 4, 2014
    The point is that he could have had Joshua hanging on for dear life in the eighth if he wanted. Usyk paces himself. He woulda hv spaced himself differently.

12. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Fighters pace themselves to last 12 rounds. If you extend matches to 15 rounds, they'll just do less of everything per round so they can make it to the final bell. The action might become so slow that KO frequencies drop. Maybe Usyk would've KOd AJ if he didn't have to worry about lasting 12 rounds.

I don't know why you guys want to watch endurance marathons. Do you guys seriously prefer watching long distance running over sprinting? Marathons are boring as ****. If it were up to me, I would decrease the number of rounds so boxers can do more things per round.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  13. VOXDEI

VOXDEI DUNCE Full Member

May 17, 2021
    An exciting thought.

14. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    He would stop Whyte - worse chin than Chisora and gets hit a lot

Wilder - worst defence in HW top 15

Ruiz - has a chin but don't have that kind of stamina

Parker - has chin, stamina but not going to handle that much pressure

Pulev- too old to have anything aside Power

I doubt that he could stop Joyce, he will hit him like never before, It would be fun. Imagine this for 12 rounds

This content is protected

15. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Wilder hurts his hands alot too. In the last Fury fight he stopped throwing it with the same conviction after Round 8.

dmt likes this.