How many people would have woken up and apologized over the years to Ali if it was obligatory?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Jul 31, 2022.

How much would it have inconvenienced Ali if everyone who dreamed of beating him apologized?

1. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Draw

100.0%
  1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Ali used to say that if various people even dreamed of beating him, they should wake up and apologize.

How much of a burden would it have placed on Ali if every person in the world who ever dreamed of defeating Ali felt obliged to apologize to him?

(Although mail and phone calls would be an acceptable apology method for most people, those within a reasonable geographic distance -- say, 200 miles or so -- will consider it necessary to deliver their apologies in person.)

How many people do you think dreamed of defeating Ali over the years? And how burdensome would it be for Ali to field their apologies?

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I’m pretty sure Ali stole that quote from Joe Louis no kidding. Anyways, I imagine a LOT of people have thought it, I have and nearly every boy in kindergarten said there dad could and that’s not even in America or in the 70s.

Entaowed, BCS8 and cross_trainer like this.
  3. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I'm imagining Ali making the argument to reinstate his license that he needs the money to pay the public relations firm processing his apology mail.

Pugguy and Journeyman92 like this.
  4. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    CT - I thought I was crazy but you make me feel incredibly sane. LOL, kidding man!

I’m there now, focused, in the crazy head space.

I think we could cover the whole world, a class action apology of sorts , Live Aid concerts style,

For the Brits - “Its apology time, there’s no need to be afraid……feel the word, let Ali know it’s apology time Again.”

For the Americans - “There comes a time, when we need to say I’m sorry….. we are the world, we’re truly sorry….”

I’m pretty sure Ali would’ve loved that worldwide mea culpa very much, beamed from all corners of the globe..

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    One more thought - I know…., scary ain’t it?

But, there could be fraud attached to mail in apologies.

For all we know, it could be Ali (and/or his team) sending apologies to himself.

Official apology location points, confidential apology booths, live attendance and due completion of offical apology forms should all be required.

Perfectly democratic, 1 person, 1 apology.

djanders and cross_trainer like this.
  6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Probably just about every decent heavyweight contender, a good proportion of the Light Heavyweights, and several thousand people who don't even box.

cross_trainer, BoB Box and Pugguy like this.
  7. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Just like when Max Baer met Lou Nova and Tony Galento

cross_trainer and Pugguy like this.
  8. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Good one, I’ll take Max happily. Tried to find that awesome colour clip of Maxie (wearing cool shades), Galento and Nova standing in the ring together - I couldn’t find it. I swear it seemed like Max was literally high.

Tbh, never had dream fighting a boxer, let alone a well known one. Strange, I did have a very brief dream once, hanging around and walking with Liston - there was definitely a feeling of broad potential risk there but Sonny was still nice enough it seemed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    cross_trainer and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  9. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Not just a colourised version of this one?

This content is protected

Pugguy likes this.
  10. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021

That’s the one. Cheers. I did see that one but I really wanted to link the colourised version.

The BW version is plenty clear but the colour makes it look even more recent - a bit more relatable in super clear vision and audio and a lot of fun seeing these guys good off as we all do from time to time.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    The clip of Galento critiquing Mickey Walker's painting is another classic

Pugguy likes this.
  12. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Cool, thanks, I’ll check that one out. Such legendary characters.

13. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    The concerts might backfire. Just like when you tell someone, "Don't think of an elephant," or when you find yourself being chased by Dracula in a dream after watching the movie, the concerts could trigger a wave of dreams about beating Ali among the general public. Necessitating a further wave of apology tours, world without end, in a nightmarish spiral.

Pugguy likes this.
  14. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Sorry, champ. I didn't mean it. I was only kidding!

Pugguy and cross_trainer like this.
  15. Holmes77

Holmes77 Member Full Member

May 28, 2022
    Ali was a idiot

lepinthehood likes this.