How many push-ups a day?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Golden Boy 360, May 24, 2012.

1. death

death Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I don't count anymore. I just do as many as I can in 15 minutes without too much rest. talking like a few seconds here and there. I start out with ply's then different angles like diamond, and wide grip. by the end I'm trying to peel myself off of the floor. then hit the heavy bag, then I might do another 15 min pushup thingy majig.

2. death

death Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2008
    good work. redundancy is the way of the beast.

3. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Just out of interest, what are your views on heavy squatting say 4 times per week?

4. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Clearly impossible.

In our reality though, I know a guy that is 5'8" around 150lbs that squatted heavy every day. In just over a year he was squatting around 400lbs.

Like I've said many times on this forum; the human body is capable of far more than most give it credit for.

5. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    It's not impossible, look up the Smolov squat routine, for several weeks through that you will be squatting 4x per week. Extremely taxing? Yes. Impossible? No? Unbelievable gains? Yes.

Agree with the final statement you make though.

6. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I was being sarcastic.... As soon as you mentioned squatting 4 times a week I knew you'd refer to Smolov. I agree.

7. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    Ah :lol::good

Put it this way, if what most people believed about 'overtraining' was true, most people that work in heavy labour jobs would not develop any sort of strength, when in actuality most people that work in such jobs are stronger than your average person.

8. Lartize

Lartize Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2011

but they also tend to have more stuff wrong with them.. Shoulders breaking down.. back seriously screwed up... knees not working right.

9. Jdsm

Aug 8, 2010
    Yes, but my reference was in regards to muscular fatigue. During any kind of training regime 'deload phases' are necessary for the sake of the joints and the sheer stress on the body, obviously heavy labour workers don't have that benefit. Although a lot of the problems they encounter are likely biomechanical issues in relation to their everyday work.

10. joe297

joe297 New Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010

Because of there tekkas

11. Diamond Eye

Diamond Eye Guest

You could do it, but I imagine it would put quite a load of stress on your tendons and joints, but I'm no doctor, and I suppose I could be wrong.

12. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Lack of proper warm up and cool down protocol.

I know.

13. Hyland

Hyland Pimp C's Father Full Member

Sep 19, 2009

60 regular push ups
    15-30 seconds rest
    60 wide push ups
    15-30 seconds rest
    60 diamond push ups

^ Repeat 3 times

last 60 I do hindu and push up modifications just to mix it up.

Try it out and let me know how it works out.

14. Golden Boy 360

Golden Boy 360 Boxing's Biggest Cash Cow Full Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Damn, I can't even bust out 60 in a row. I did 500 push-ups one day (over the course of about 6 hours) lol

15. CHAL_DIESEL

CHAL_DIESEL GOAT Full Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Hey dickhead it's all about muscular endurance and doing a **** ton on push ups accomplishes just that