How many push-ups a day?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Golden Boy 360, May 24, 2012.

1. Don't Sleep

Don't Sleep Personal Trainer Full Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Chest dips then push ups

2. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Doing them everyday is a great way to damage your rotator cuffs, I found this out from experience. When I was in college I went totally AWOL, I used to do 400 push ups per day, I used to do 6 sets of 50 wide arm push ups and 6 sets of 30 diamond push ups, or just close hand grip ones.

Well my shoulders soon busted, I used to play basketball once a week and run Twice per week, but I would always do my push ups in the night.....

Also my wrists were ****ed aswell...

These days? I use push up handles, a by far better execiser , i feel my core really getting worked and I like the feeling of the movement.

3. death

death Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Funny, I always thought it was the factor of being in a physical body. :D

4. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    How much endurance do you need in your shoulders in a 10 minute boxing match? If your dumb ass knew how to punch correctly there would be little involvement from your arms, the only time your shoulders are going to be activated is for a split second at the end of a punch and that would be isometric if you punch at the right range.
    You don't think hitting a heavy bag, pads, your sparring partner for over an hour in a training session is enough to condition your shoulders for a 10 minute boxing match?
    Use your head you silly ****.

5. 123ko

123ko Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2012
    you would gain more strength & body tune buy doing different push-ups

clap hands
    down then bounce about 10 times then push up
    widen your harms
    shorten your arms
    down wait 10 seconds push up
    push ups with feet on a bench
    push up then touch left foot right hand then push up then alternate
    cross one leg over the other then push up

I'm sure you can think of others,,

to even think i was going to do 100 would bore me

i like to mix them up ,,make it more interesting ,,but then most of you tuck your elbow's into your sides & bob your head up & down ,,that ain't no push up :huh

6. Lartize

Lartize Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Pushups WILL **** up your wrists; That's why I switched a while back to doing them on my knuckles; so my wrists do not get all bent when I do them (Which is what gives you carpal tunnel)

7. Just one way through will do me fine. :D

8. cockneyhardman

cockneyhardman Member Full Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Theres just one big fat problem with that though, and that is you do not need muscular endurance in your chest and triceps!!!

Have you ever felt fatigue when doing bag work or sparring or fighting in your triceps and chest?

Endless pushups are useless

9. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    For you guys doing hundreds of pushups a day, what are you doing for your upper back to prevent rounded shoulders?

10. death

death Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2008
    no. they are far from useless. that's such a vague statement. are they necessary for boxing? no, but they will help over all conditioning. that being said, I would much rather my chest get tired than my legs in the middle of sparring, or even worse, a match. tired arms and chest just means you have to push harder, but tired legs and your pretty much done!
    I would personally pick squats, and sprints over pushups if I could do only one. obviously I can do a variety.

11. hookfromhell

hookfromhell Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2011
    Pushups bars are great. Im not a boxer but a musician and
    reuguar pushups would rwally hurt my wrists. I have the
    "Perfect pushup" they are great little or no strain.
    Im at 110 to 150 every other day, that may sound
    ***** but im over weight so the day off helps the muscles
    grow and recover. Ronny Lyle used to do 1000 pushups in an
    hour in prison, I doubt he did it every day though. I've
    heard of people doing them everyday and every other day.
    I believe you need that day off though. Take advice from
    your trainer or the boxers on this forum.

12. Dukesnider1963

Dukesnider1963 New Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I gave up doing push ups for about two months to concentrate on bag and leg work, hitting the heavy, speed and double end bags. Plus karate strikes on the bags and shadow boxing with weighted gloves (2 lbs each). My punching strength and speed seemed to remain about the same during the no push up period.

When I tried some push ups yesterday, couldn't even do half the previous number, and today my upper chest and shoulders ache something fierce while doing push ups and are tender to the touch (possible sign of weakness and non-use).

These results seem to suggest that push ups may build support muscles which are not directly used during normal punching routines. Thus, push ups seem to be an important exercise to make sure one's physique doesn't have glaring weaknesses.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic VIP Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2004
    I do about a minimum of 300 a day.

14. BiggyWeiTing

BiggyWeiTing New Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Push ups are similar to any exercise in that your muscles are contracting against resistance. Your body or the muscles don't know what you are doing is called "push ups", it just knows it has to contract the muscles against resistance. If it does this regularly, it attempts to adapt to the workload via various routes, ie building muscle, burning fat, increasing muscular endurance, etc.
    Another way to think of this is to put it very simply... If you perform any type of exercise consistently, you will be in physically better shape than you would have been if you never exercised at all. Just like by shadow boxing, doing bag work, sparring, etc, you become better at performing as a boxer than you would have been if you had never done any of it.
    To talk yourself into believing it's not beneficial, or even detrimental, to exercise in any way is just taking the easy way out.
    If you choose to do push ups, do as many as you can without sacrificing good form. Next time you do them, try to do more than you did previously, basically following a simple progressive overload routine. The exact number you start out at or end up with isn't what is important, what is important is that you improve over time.

15. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    On the 8th day god invented the push up. :good