How much hype is Fury/Wilder in the UK?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tyson379, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Tyson379

Tyson379 Active Member Full Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Considering the fight is in the US. Is it even Usyk/Bellew level or Whyte/Chisora? It seems as if Fury is blacklisted by the media in terms of hyping his fights but they were promoting the hell out of Wilder just for the future Joshua fight.

So anyway, what is a legit number the fight will do in the UK?

2. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
  3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I think it's been promoted pretty well at the start there was a ton of media attention but I think it's trailed off as they are now both in the US and in training camp.

Not sure how well it will do, not had anyone I know who doesn't have an interest in boxing talk about it, but then that was the case with Usyk/Bellew and even Bellew/Haye and they did well.

I think the time the fights on my be a real issue if it was in the UK I'd be confident it does over 500K maybe even edge towards the million mark as Brits love a big fight, especially at heavyweight. But with it being at 5am it could really dampen the number of buys.

4. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think it'll do around 150-200k.

Tyson isn't very popular and his last two fights were seen as a bit of a joke in the UK. His rematch with Wlad sold poorly and the Wlad fight was such a stinker that I imagine any casual types being asked 'fancy staying up until 5am to watch a Tyson Fury fight' would laugh at the idea. Even more when they were asked to pay for it.

Because he's been in America there hasn't been much that much promotion for ages. It's also on what many see as a second-rate channel but still at standard PPV cost. It won't do well.

Nonito Smoak likes this.
  5. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Sky hyped the hell out of the Wlad fight and it did 500k. Then it was deemed the worst fight of all time in many quarters and Tyson's had two comebacks, both of which were pathetic.

I agree with your concerns over the time the fight is on but the only way Tyson ever gets anywhere near a million is if he's fighting Joshua. He just isn't popular in any meaningful way. I think some confuse people knowing who he is with popularity.

6. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    The issue is that its not on Sky. Whyte Chisora will sell far better even though Fury is in the more meaningful fight

7. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Massive hype. All my casual friends and colleagues are asking me about it.

8. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Are they asking you to shut up about it?

9. kevinreid001

kevinreid001 Punchdrunk101 Full Member

Nov 1, 2012
    In the uk sky sports news is on in background most pubs or buildings etc because it’s on bt it won’t and prob can’t get as well promoted if it had been on sky. Love the behind scenes stuff tho from bt kinda simalar to 24/7 episodes(although never as good as 24/7). Still think wilder takes it

10. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Seems to have died off, was hype at first but no ones really talking about it now. Will get a better idea on fight week when promotion kicks back up again.

11. Brighton bomber

Apr 4, 2005
    I think Fury is a bigger name now that he was when he fought Wlad. Before that win he was mainly known as the guy who upper cutted himself by casuals. After the Wlad win it legitimatised him in the eyes of many and during his period of inactivity his social media profile grew dramatically. The emergence of Joshua has also increased interest in the heavyweight division since then.

So I still think it would of done over 500K in the UK. Perhaps you're right and a million is being optimistic but if Haye/Bellew can do 890K buys for a non title fight it's not out of the question.

12. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Whyte Chisora were also in a fight that was fun to watch, so your casual fan wants more of the same.

Fury had his big fight on Sky and absolutely stank the place out.

tee_birch likes this.
  13. Brighton bomber

Apr 4, 2005
    True it was pretty quiet before Joshua/Povetkin too, but then fight week came and they ramped up the promotion and it did over a million.

14. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Fair comments but I disagree that the idea to take away from the Wlad fight was that Fury was legitimised. I think it made casuals think he was boring as hell. Joshua being in some good action fights hasn't helped, nor have Fury's pretty laughable comeback fights.

Holler likes this.
  15. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    none with the casual fans. scum don't deserve this fight anyway.

WAR FURY