How much should Liston's quit job affect his standing ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Sonny's jab, Dec 16, 2007.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I did read friend.

And it would appear as though you tried to sneak Billy Hunter in there as an additional rated opponent by using the lure of hindsite to make him look better than he really was. As for going to school, you claimed earlier today that Hunter was rated, and Fogey corrected you. I'm afraid that you're the only one getting an education today.

2. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Buster Douglas was not regarded as a great fighter when he beat Tyson. Ali was UNDEFEATED when Liston fought him. Liston quiting isn't any worse
    than Lewis getting KO'd twice and losing the championship by far inferior fighters than a 1964 Ali.

3. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004

Agree 100%. '67 Ali beats any Liston.

4. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    You be amazing with how far people fight over the Marciano/Patterson ducking Liston thing. Of couse Patterson should have goting more of the critics for it, and Marciano non at all(Liston was in prison during the Rock's retirement)

Liston made his track to the title from 59-62 about. But as said before Patterson was trap in the 3 fights with Ingo. I have one book that claim that Liston had to wait ten years for his earn title shot.

5. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Liston's quitting isn't any worse than Vitali quitting against Byrd.

I do not believe the first fight was fixed. I buy the Liston was cheating story, and tried to rub something in Ali's eyes. The fight footage seems to show as much. Liston may have overlooked him. I read that it was a shame the rematch didn't happen when it was supposed to. I read Liston was training harder than ever, and looked as good as ever. The loss really bothered him, and wanted his title back. He was ashamed.

I read his training that took place before the re-dated rematch was nowhere near as intense. Like he was just going through the motions.

6. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Liston was not even going thown the motions in the rematch. He just fell down. Had Liston taking the Dempsey way, and gone out on his sheild, People would not be as hard on Liston. People knew Tunney box Dempsey as silly, as Ali out box Liston. But what parts the 2 in my mind, is Dempsey never gave up. Sure it didnt get him a win, but he try his best until the final bell. There was no biting, cheating, or lieing down for Dempsey.

7. bigjake

bigjake Active Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    the second fight might have been fixed,but in the first i think liston just underestimated clay.he paid the price

8. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Yep. Dempsey showed great heart there and thoughout his entire career.

He did have the advantage of only having to go 10 rounds instead of the 15 that Liston was looking at.