How 'nice' was Sonny Liston?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Melankomas, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    I've been hearing varying views on Sonny Liston as a person. Some have said he was a nice, kind person when others said that he was a mob enforcer who deserved the police harassment he got. What's the truth?

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Nobody is just one thing. Liston a violent and sometimes cowardly criminal. That doesn't mean he wasn't sometimes kind and polite to people he admired or respected (old people, priests) or felt safe with (kids). Serial kilers are often nice to their mothers. Hitler was very kind to his dogs (well...until he poisoned them).

This question gets kicked up once every 3 years or so because people cannot reconcile the two sides of the man but probably everyone knows someone in their own lives who behaves like a ****ing lunatic on Friday and Saturday night before returning to their job at Daddy Daycare on Monday.

3. Melankomas

Dec 18, 2022
    Oh trust me, I can definitely understand what you mean. I know so many people like that. What types of things did Liston do

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    He as a very naughty boy.

Pugguy likes this.
  5. Melankomas

Dec 18, 2022
    Any examples?

6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    His original rap sheet described the techniques Liston and his wee possy used to mug people for pocket chagnes as "Dirt, fists, feet" so they would try to blind their target by throwing mess into his face, then reign down the punches, then kick him until he was still.

7. Melankomas

Dec 18, 2022
    Sheesh, what a douche.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He was said to have raped a domestic.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Never proven.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    George Foreman said something to the effect that he learned to treat people badly, especially women, from Sonny. I'll give him a bit of a pass. His upbringing was horrid.

11. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I think he was a hard man, and no angel by any means, but I don't think he was evil or psychopathic at all, if that was the question. He was a gentle husband, and a very loving father. His only flaw in that regard is that he was known to sleep around, but that's a sign of the times. There were VERY VERY few men in the 50s and 60s who DIDN'T step out on their wives, so Liston was simply the norm.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  12. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    George will make up any excuse to avoid taking personal accountability. He's a con artist of a human being.

13. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    "SUSPECT'S SHIRT KEY TO ARREST

Because he wore a bright yellow and black check woolen shirt, Charles Liston, 22-year-old Negro, living, in the 1000 block of O 'Fallon St., is being held by police as a suspect in two robberies in the past week. He was picked up near his home early yesterday by a beat policeman, because the shirt answered the description of one worn by one of two bandits in the $40 robbery of a service station attendant Friday night. While being questioned, he also admitted that 25 minutes before his arrest he and two other Negroes had held up the Unique Cafe, 1502 Market st and obtained $37, officers said."

Source: Clipping from The St. Louis Star and Times - Newspapers.com

14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Hush money.

15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    I've only seen storied proof of even that being honest.

But even if it was paid, there are a shedload of reasons short of **** for it occurring. He might have raped someone and he might not have - i don't think it's right to paint it as definite.