How steep was Hagler’s decline following the Hearns and then the Mugabi fights?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Jul 22, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    How steep was Hagler’s decline following the Hearns and then the Mugabi fights, and how big a factor was this in enabling Leonard to defeat Hagler at the end of his career?
    Hearns hurt Hagler in the 1st round of their savage clash and Mugabi did more damage than Hearns, did either of these fights add wear and tear to Marvin by the time he fought Leonard?

Levook and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler's decline was evident, he took bombs thrown by Thomas Hearns on April 15 1985, even suffered a lacerated eyebrow, he got the job done in spectacular fashion but absorbed some punishment along the way. When Hagler fought John The Beast Mugabi in 1986, he was again forced to engage in a brutal war until Mugabi used up his gas tank, and was finally stopped. A great fighter knows his limitations. It was time to get out as the wars had taken their toll. But Marvelous as great a champion that he was let his ego dictate his future. There was the big money fight against a come backing Sugar Ray Leonard who was well rested from ring activity, Hagler must have assumed that he was ring rusty. Then there was the middleweight title defense record of retired champion Carlos Monzon, which stood at 14 by 1987. Also had Hagler defeated Leonard, he would have tied the record, then if he made 1 more defense after that, he would have broken the record at 15 defenses, then retired with the belt as Monzon did. None the less Marvelous Marvin Hagler was a great champion. As I have always said, you can only fight the fighter that are put in front of you in your respective era's. Only wrestlers in the WWE can call opponents out. Promoters promote fights, not fighters.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  3. Indefatigable

Indefatigable Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2021
    As usual your facts are wrong again. Leonard would have been 13. Not 14.

BlackCloud likes this.
  4. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    I think Hagler's decline was negligible, and its a 'narrative' that he, among others, have picked up and run with for different reasons. He didn't lose to SRL because he'd declined / lost some passion or was a shadow of himself; he lost because he overthought his fight strategy trying to anticipate what SRL would be expecting (good idea ordinarily) and it didn't work. Pretty simple.

Re. the decline alibi....Hagler and the Petronelli's went with it to alibi his diva-like sooking because he didn't get the decision against SRL and flounced off to Italy to be a movie 'star' (imagine if Hector Comacho ever spat the dummy and did that!); SRL because it gives him many opportunities to tell a intellect-praising story about himself on TV rather than attribute the appropriately - to Hagler's mistake; the boxing media because they got to run this narrative and print articles / interviews etc for years etc etc.

I never understood how people gave him such a pass...but with a compliant (then east coast print boxing media) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I read it, it must be true. You know, the 80's was the era of the spin-doctors, I think that's when the term became popularized.

Ditto with the twelve rounds stuff, more bs alibi-ing. I'm not even sure twelves were on offer anymore....the idea that Trainer / SRL somehow Svengali'd the Petronelli's and Hagler out of what they preferred is more self-serving bs.

Saintpat, Sangria and Flash24 like this.
  5. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    FYI...A lot of the older posters don't have the energy or inclination to leave this website, log into boxrec, count up things like that up, come back to this forum etc; and instead rely on their memory. If he's off for a single defense, its hardly worth the trouble to take, is it? I'd like to see how you go remembering how defenses Klitchko had in forty years time.

mr. magoo, joe brown, Fergy and 5 others like this.
  6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    If the Hagler that fought Hearns fought Leonard the same way he would have knocked Ray out .. by the time he fought Ray two years had gone by with significant inactivity and supposedly a lot of partying .. Ray was brilliant in choosing his opportunity ..

Reinhardt likes this.
  7. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Fighting once or twice a year didn't help. He was much busier in 1983 and before. Fighting tough opponents your whole career is physically taxing.

greynotsoold likes this.
  8. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I'm an older poster and what you say is true, if over-simplified. I do check facts on boxrec and sometimes google, but I generally don't do a lot of researching of the books and magazines which are somewhere in my basement. I take a chance and rely on my memory for those things. I no longer bother with a subscription to newspaper.com either. I think my comrades on this forum recognize this and go easy on me sometimes. However, when I am outright wrong on a basic unarguable fact as opposed to an opinion or a personal interpretation, I appreciate being corrected. Otherwise, my factual mistakes are likely to be repeated again and again, and taken as correct by some people. It's like Donald Trump and Fox News hosts like Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. They repeat their lies so often that some people actually believe them!

mr. magoo and Entaowed like this.
  9. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Good stuff here.
    I've written many times something similar. Hagler in my opinion is the greatest Middleweight in history. But like all fighters he had a weakness. It was proven in the 70's pre prime by fighters like Watts and Monroe, it was proven in his prime by Antefermo and Duran. It was proven by Leonard Slightly past his prime.
    He could be taken out of his game plan by slick fighters.
    A fighter that was patient enough to force him to lead, and great at countering.
    Most posters seem to think if Leonard fought Hagler in 82' or 83' Hagler destroys him.
    But if they actually watched Hagler's fight with Duran they would know better. Or , stop thinking with their hearts and think with their mind.
    Hagler had a hard time adjusting too Duran's underrated boxing abilities, and had to fight like hell the last 5rds to get a victory. How can they believe the bigger, stronger, faster Leonard who looked like he could be a strong Middleweight when he fought Kalule couldn't have done better? I'd venture to say because of the style matchup, Hagler may have caught Hell if he had faced Benitez as was being talked about at the time , if he didn't crash and burn the way he did. Certainly Duran looked much better against Hagler than he did against Benitez.
    I love Hagler. But like all fighters he had weaknesses.

Sangria likes this.
  10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I forgot something once, but it was so long ago I don’t even remember what it was.

Entaowed, mark ant and Fergy like this.
  11. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    It was appreciable.

The decline was noted by SRL in the Roldan fight. After Hamsho 2 and the Hearns fight, you could see he was much slower against Mugabi.

Levook, Reinhardt and Clinton like this.
  12. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The decline is there but how much of it was wear and tear from those hard fights and how much was simply being too inactive at such an advanced age is debatable.

I tend to think he got hit as much as he did against Hearns was because fighting aggressively was the actual game plan. Against Mugabi, he was just getting hit a lot and he lacked snap. He had to then use his toughness to power through because at that point so little was left for him. THAT was wear showing.

Lesson learned: If you're that old, you have to fight more than once a year.

Levook, JohnThomas1 and Rumsfeld like this.
  13. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    been reading this sight for years. Not contributed as often.... So many good, thought provoking opinions. I love the statement's even though I may completely disagree. Indefaigable.... why do you post?

14. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Recently to get online you have to pass a mental awareness test, Indefagatiable slipped through the cracks... God it must be nice to have the brain power of a goldfish. Tired of his bs......towards everyone . Please disagree. But not attack

Sangria and Eddie Ezzard like this.
  15. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Last thirty seconds. Eye. Fought his fight. Old. Waited. Switch hitter. Tactical error. With all due respect. Conniving. Narrative. Legendary Nights. Ducked Pryor mercilessly. Captain's hat. Have to take the title. Shoe-shining. Flurry. Won. Body shots. Dome. Goatee.

...Hearns.